Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    budget25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 08:02 AM
    Consolidation working papers
    Need assistance in consolidation entries when presenting group financial statements for a company with a foreign wholly-owned subsidiary. Where do exchange variances go when eliminating inter-company balances?
    hamzashakaa Posts: 161, Reputation: 8

Jul 20, 2010, 02:15 PM

If the balance represents a long term financing (Transactions and balances for which settlement is not planned in the foreseeable future) from the holding company then the exchange differences should be reflected in Other comprehensive income(Equity). But if the balance represents a normal business transactions between the holding company and its subsidiary then the exchange differences should be reflected in profit & loss.

IAS 21:
    Differences arising on a monetary item that, in substance, forms part of an investment in a foreign entity (settlement neither planned nor likely to occur) should be recognised in equity until the disposal of the net investment, at which time they should be recognised as income/expense. [IAS 21.17]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Consolidation Working paper entry [ 1 Answers ]

In 2004, Parrot Company sold land to its subsidiary, Tree Corporation for $12,000. It had a book value of $10,000. In the next year, Tree sold the land for $18,000 to an unaffiliated firm. Which of the following is correct? a. No consolidation working paper entry was necessary in 2004. b. A...

Working papers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I was wondering if someone would provide me with some insight on how to determine "which" accounts require working papers? Do ALL balance sheet accounts require a working paper or is it up to the accountant to determine which ones? i.e. make a judgement call. Just wondering if there is...

Getting my husband working papers [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my husband where just married about a month ago. He is from England and here on a J-1 student visa. We really need for both of us to be working, right now we are living with my parents and going crazy. I have downloaded the packet of forms that we need to file and have mostly filled them...

View more questions Search