Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fizspace Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 09:52 PM
    Win XP sp2 freezes after booting up on desktop
    I have a toshiba notebook with Win XP Home edition preinstalled since February 2006. I mostly don't shutdown my notebook, instead I hibernate it by closing the lid. Yesterday I just shut it down and when I restarted it after an hour it just worked fine till logging in and after I get the wallpaper loaded it stopped booting up. Now, it is only showing wallpaper and there is no icons, no taskbar or anything. Cursor is moving and working fine. Even in safe mode it is doing the same thing. CTRL+ALT+DEL is also working fine and the CPU usage is 0%. I tried to recover the windows using supplied cd but it has only one option to format the disk and reinstal windows completely that I don't want.
    Please advise me what to do now ?
    c_starrs Posts: 64, Reputation: 5

Dec 28, 2006, 05:45 PM
    There is a program that is designed to fix this as well as other problems, you can either download the whole program (Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!)
    Or
    The registry edit that it will use to fix the problem without the whole program, just a time saver really, (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...top_fixall.vbs)
    fizspace Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 03:23 AM
    :D friends, I have solved the problem myself. I was using protector plus antivirus but then I installed mcafee antivirus and after rebooting it, mcafee removed a virus which was creating desktop to freeze.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WIN XP freezes at Safe Mode (on logon screen) [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Windows XP Pro Safe Mode problem. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop (nearly three months old). First let me say I religiously keep my antivirus up to date. I have Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE, Spy Sweeper, PestPatrol, Microsoft AntiSpyware and I use HijackThis. I...

Win 98se back to win 98 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, Does anybody know if it is possible to backout an installation of win 98se. A friend of mine installed a USB hub on his win 98 machine and when asked for the drivers he inserted a win 98se disk and the machine tried to go through the upgrade procedure. At some point this upgrade...

Network using XP(SP2) [ 4 Answers ]

I have a small workshop repairing computers and I am facing with the following problem: I have a PC which has two network cards:one card is connected to the DSL modem and the other card is connected to a hub.I am using internet connection sharing in order for other computers to be able to have...

SP2, is it necessary? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi: I tried installing SP2 a few months ago and it completely crashed my computer. Some IT friends then told me that SP2 had many problems that needed resolving, so I put SP1 back on. I'm wondering if SP2 is now safe to put on my computer? Is it even necessary if I have Norton Systemworks, a...

Win 98 freezes during startup [ 6 Answers ]

My 3-year-old HP Pavilion 6635 is running Win 98. In the middle of the startup process, it freezes. When I look at the task manager, only three programs are listed instead of the usual 8 or 10. Trying to start in Safe mode gets the same results. I tried walking through the bootup process,...

View more questions Search