Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rusty14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 11:19 AM
    Car accelerates on and off by itself
    It doesn't do it all the time but all of sudden it starts with a loud noise (like a fog horn) under the hood then the throttle goes up and down quickly.It's a 94 Mercury Marquis LS with 45000 miles on it.
    GeorgeLeigh50 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 12:34 PM

Sounds like your automatic transmission is slipping or may need the fluid level checked
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2010, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty14
    It doesn't do it all the time but all of sudden it starts with a loud noise (like a fog horn) under the hood then the throttle goes up and down quickly.It's a 94 Mercury Marquis LS with 45000 miles on it.
    Is your check engine light on? Are you saying it doesn't start loud all the time, or it doesn't have a fluctuating idle all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeLeigh50 View Post
    sounds like your automatic transmission is slipping or may need the fluid level checked
    Where did he say that the vehicle had an automatic transmission? Why would low fluid levels cause the engine idle to rise and fall?
    GeorgeLeigh50 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 01:04 PM

I took it to mean it shifts gears with a loud bang. If it had a clutch it could not be shifting gears without him pushing the manual shift lever, his question title says it does this by itself. A tranny going out will run in low gear longer than necessary then shift up with a bang, won't it?
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2010, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeLeigh50 View Post
    I took it to mean it shifts gears with a loud bang. If it had a clutch it could not be shifting gears without him pushing the manual shift lever, his question title says it does this by itself. A tranny going out will run in low gear longer than necessary then shift up with a bang, won't it?
    He said the throttle goes up and down, not that the transmission shifts hard. And a "fog horn noise" isn't "a bang."
    rusty14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 05:51 PM
    I paid the fee and asked the pros which was well worth the money.The problem was what they call a HOOT TUBE, because that's what it does, hoots. It runs from the back of the intake to just in front of the throttle body.Anyways, I had it replaced and the car works fine.
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2010, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty14 View Post
    I paid the fee and asked the pros which was well worth the money.The problem was what they call a HOOT TUBE, because thats what it does, hoots. It runs from the back of the intake to just in front of the throttle body.Anyways, I had it replaced and the car works fine.
    So the tube was leaking vacuum, causing the fluctuating idle.

Glad to hear it worked out for you! Thanks for updating us :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I live in NYC. Unemployed 2 years. Just paid off car note. Can creditors take car? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in NYC. Unemployed 2 years. Just paid off car note. Can creditors take car?

Car accident -driver in front put her car in reverse and smashed me [ 2 Answers ]

I was sitting in my car at a red light. Traffic was heavy-ish. Suddenly- very suddenly and out of nowhere my car and the car in front of me collided with an enormous impact. I was stunned. I was shocked and confused. Prior to impact my car was absolutely stationary! My chest area ( heart) ,...

What movie is this?around 1990, 2 men, car, threatens to light the car on fire [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've been trying to work out which movie this is for ages, The name I can't remember but it was made around 1990 and is an american black comedy I think, I don't remember the plot but there is a scene in it where the two men are arguing and one gets into the car and locks the doors, the...

Which accelerates more while falling through the air - b-ball rockfilled or hollow? [ 1 Answers ]

Question: Two basketballs are dropped from a high building through the air. One ball is hollow and the other filled with rocks. Which accelerates more? Defend your answer. My answer: Although the basketball with rocks in it has more mass than the hollow basketball, they both have the same...

View more questions Search