Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    putnam Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 09:40 AM
    Blacktop resurfacing
    Can you resurface black top with something that REFLECTS heat and sun? We have dogs on blacktop and it's so hot. Is there a paint or treatment to go over blacktop to help cool down this area.Thank you.Please help!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2010, 11:22 AM

I am not aware of any product that you can put over a blacktop surface as you describe. You may be able to use some sort of industrial paint but it would have to adhere to this type of surface.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2010, 11:36 AM

How much blacktop are you talking about?

My first response would be that twinkiedooter is correct... but in most cases, painting over it will cause problems down the road.

Concrete does not get hot, but replacing an asphalted surface with concrete is often cost prohibitive...

So please explain more so that we can help you better: Why is it that the dogs have to be on the blacktop surface that you currently have?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2010, 12:46 PM
    Besides perhaps running hose water over it during the hot times,there just isn't a coating made(to my knowledge)that would be adequate for this.

I have used reflective coatings for metal roofs(trailer coatings,elastomeric coatings with reflective properties),but all have a petroleum base and will1) absorb some heat,and 2) come off with repeated traffic on them,making for a real mess on dogs feet,your carpets,etc.

Concrete driveways,walkways get hot in the sun too.

Perhaps someone else has an idea I don't know:(,sorry.

Jul 19, 2010, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    How much blacktop are you talking about?

My first response would be that twinkiedooter is correct... but in most cases, painting over it will cause problems down the road.

Concrete does not get hot, but replacing an asphalted surface with concrete is often cost prohibitive...

So please explain more so that we can help you better: Why is it that the dogs have to be on the blacktop surface that you currently have?
    Hi, Thank you both. This is a small animal shelter the black top is old and worn. The pens are about 6x10 at the most.Theirs 48 pens. They have dog houses but still...
    I know cement would be better, but TOO much money.

I thought could we perhaps paint it white would that at least help reflect some of the sun light.
    I just feel helpless that a dog who's body temperature are SO much higher then ours.
    If their was any product out there that wouldn't break this small shelters bank.
    I appriecate any product info...

I thought perhaps like a grey paint ?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2010, 05:44 PM

Now that you have explained the situation may I suggest that you put a few inches of top soil over the blacktop areas. This will be much cooler than the blacktop any day and probably cheaper than paint. You could also try some kind of light colored mulch ontop of the blacktop as well.

The paint will come off with wear but just might be a good solution if good paint can be purchased and left long enough to properly dry.

Jul 19, 2010, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Now that you have explained the situation may I suggest that you put a few inches of top soil over the blacktop areas. This will be much cooler than the blacktop any day and probably cheaper than paint. You could also try some kind of light colored mulch ontop of the blacktop as well.

The paint will come off with wear but just might be a good solution if good paint can be purchased and left long enough to properly dry.
    Thanks, Someone suggested like they do for tennis courts. God knows that may be too much money. But even if old timer dogs get those pens it would be better. I will look into a paint. That would be an oil base paint perhaps grey or white?

If it helps I will try that.
    I do appreciate all the input that I have received.

The only reason we couldn't go with dirt/mulch is we clean the pens wash down if they make a mess.

So the painiting may be best idea.Would a grey or white be better.Any brand of paint?

Again thanks all... :)
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 04:20 AM

There is a silvery roof coating that I use on flat roofs in my business. Give a local roofing supply house a call and ask them if the "silver stuff" will work over asphalt. It may very well work since both roof tar and asphalt are both petroleum based.

Here are some products to check out.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2010, 05:00 AM
    There is a silvery roof coating that I use on flat roofs in my business. Give a local roofing supply house a call and ask them if the "silver stuff" will work over asphalt. It may very well work since both roof tar and asphalt are both petroleum based.

I guess you can't see my post for some reason or another,we merged threads part way into this.. I have noted the reflective coatings and their wear problems..

Just saying.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I guess you can't see my post for some reason or another,we merged threads part way into this..I have noted the reflective coatings and their wear problems..

Just sayin.
    I do see the post. I should have said more.

Putnam, KBC is correct. The coating that I'm thinking of will indeed wear off at some point... so you need to confirm what the material will cost for the surface you want to cover, and then get a good answer on how long it will last for where and how you are using it... and decide from there.

Jul 20, 2010, 05:50 AM

Thank you for site & info. A supply house or ACE would know what kind of applicator you use to apply it. You can see I'm new at this;)
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2010, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by putnam View Post
    Thank you for site & info. A supply house or ACE would know what kind of applicator you use to apply it. You can see I'm new at this;)
    Application is with a stiff brush.

I say this because you'll want to scrub this in,simply wiping the coating on the surface doesn't allow for it to get into the 'pours' of the surface being applied to.

They make an application brush that threads on to the handle,don't get the wedge type,the chances of the brush separating from the handle(in the mixture) are more than a problem, try retrieving a brush in tar(been there,done that).

You even might pre-drill a hole and put a set screw in for good measure, I know I do!

Jul 20, 2010, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Application is with a stiff brush.

I say this because you'll want to scrub this in,simply wiping the coating on the surface doesn't allow for it to get into the 'pours' of the surface being applied to.

They make an application brush that threads on to the handle,don't get the wedge type,the chances of the brush separating from the handle(in the mixture) are more than a problem,,try retrieving a brush in tar(been there,done that).

You even might pre-drill a hole and put a set screw in for good measure,,I know I do!
    Yes this is good advice. I will see how much all this will cost.
    Do people usually donate some of there labor skills. That I will shop around to see.Some of this I can try but we are talking a large amount of pens!
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Jul 20, 2010, 09:27 AM

How's about partially covering the top of the pens with some type of roof system... that allows most of the pen to be shaded.

May be a little more upfront cost... but then you're done.

Jul 20, 2010, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dannac View Post
    How's about partially covering the top of the pens with some type of roof system .... that allows most of the pen to be shaded.
    Yes thank you we have done that we as many as we could afford... We also have tarps sun blockers too. But I always feel that heat comes off the blacktop. Even though it is faded. So I was looking into other options.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 10:35 AM
    Yes this is good advice. I will see how much all this will cost.
    Do people usually donate some of there labor skills. That I will shop around to see.Some of this I can try but we are talking a large amount of pens!!
    I don't know who will work for free, but a couple of kids with the materials should be able to do it in a couple hours at $8 per hour or so.

... just my guess...

Jul 20, 2010, 10:44 AM
    I don't know who will work for free, but a couple of kids with the materials should be able to do it in a couple hours at $8 per hour or so.

... just my guess...
    Yes that is good idea. We also have people who do community service.
    So it sounds easy enough. I just have to get suppiles.
    Once again I appreciate the help in this area. I will have to wait until it gets cooler. Right now it is extremely hot here.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 10:56 AM
    Right now it is extremely hot here.
    Here too. We've been over 90 degrees with over 80% humidity for the past couple weeks.

I love snow and am looking forward to November :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resurfacing Blacktop Driveway [ 5 Answers ]

Can you recommend a resurfacing material, specifically a brand name, that we can use on our blacktop driveway that will not carry into and on our garage floor. Our garage floor has recently been sealed with a commercial poxy finish and we do not want it to show black marks from the driveway. ...

Fiberglass resurfacing [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15 yr old fiberglass deck. The fiberglass looks OK with the exception of a few cracks from nails. I would like to resurface the gel coat. What is the process for doing this and where do I buy the gel coat?

Resurfacing a basement [ 1 Answers ]

About how much would it cost to resurface a basement of 40 by 20

Surveyors Nails'Covered by City's Resurfacing of Blacktop [ 3 Answers ]

Do we have any recourse when the city's parking lot, which adjoins our land, is resurfaced? At first we thought the lot was only going to be re-oiled so we didn't worry when a city employee said some of the matter would "spill over" a bit. The lot was resurfaced and several feet of our property,...

Blacktop over concrete [ 6 Answers ]

I have a driveway that needs resurfacing, there's a lot of big cracks and plenty of small ones. Half the driveway is made of concrete with the stone showing, the other half is smooth concrete. What's the best way to resurface this? Is it possible to use blacktop, driveway sealant to do this job?...

View more questions Search