Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mk4283 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 07:44 AM
    Why is new water heater causing pressure problem?
    I recently installed a new 50 gal. electric water heater, my home has a well and pump system with a bladder tank, right after I installed the water heater, my hot water pressure was down throughout the house, not enough to be a problem any where but the showers, when a shower is on and the hot water is turned on elsewhere the shower goes cold. Any ideas? I've raised my system pressure from 30/50 to 35/55, bladder tank pressure is good. Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 19, 2010, 07:51 AM

This sounds like an obstruction was created when you installed the heater. Put a water pressure gauge on the drain spigot to tell if the clog is on the fed side or supply
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 19, 2010, 08:59 AM

Follow Ballenger's advice... good place to start. However, you did not mention a drop in PRESSURE or VOLUME when the hot water was turned on and the showers went cold... right? Just that the showers went cold... right?

If so, then tell me how many handles at your shower valves... one, two or three? If more than one handle then this unbalanced temperature issue is something that frequently occurs with older style valves.

If you have single handle shower valves hen this should not occur as all single handle shower valves are temperature and pressure balanced for years and years now!

Let us know more... OK?

Mark

Jul 19, 2010, 11:19 AM

Since the issue is "throughout" the house I am thinking something on the main supply or outlet line of the heater. Does it have heat trap nipples?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 19, 2010, 12:01 PM

I did miss the "throughout"... ;)

Yeah, either the water heater cold water shutoff or the nipples could be the issue. I'd open the valve at the bottom of the water heater and see how the pressure seems. If unreasonable, remove the water heater shutoff and replace. If not, then you would need to look for other shutoffs after the hot water comes out of the heater and remove them/test them as needed.

Mark
    mk4283 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    since the issue is "throughout" the house I am thinking something on the main supply or outlet line of the heater. Does it have heat trap nipples??
    Yes it has heat trap nipples, It had new ball valves installed on both lines. Should I remove those nipples? I'm going to check pressure at tank drain tomorrow. I'll let you know. Thanks

Jul 19, 2010, 08:30 PM

Play detective by checking line pressure in the house, the pressure on the drain spigot and lastly on the line after the heater, a bit harder to rig up. All should be the same , around 45 psi. Let us know what you get. All low would mean a main supply clogged which is unlikely. 45 on line but less on the drain it's a bad fed line. Line and heater spigot 45 psi but less than that after the heater means clogged fed coming out or after the heater

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have no hot water pressure in TWH on city water what is the problem [ 2 Answers ]

At first the hot water pressure went down now there is no hot water in the entire house. I hve a 75 gal gas hot water heater. Also, I am waiting for the water company to determine if the leak between the main and my meter is their responsibility of mine. The water meter is about 2 foot from the...

Water Softener causing decreased pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Why would my water softener decrease my water pressure coming from my well with a 40-60 pressure switch?:confused:

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

Shower handle causing low water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

My hot water handle in the shower doesn't seem to be working correctly. It will turn to far causing the water to come back on when it is in the off position, also the water pressure on the hot side(the side in question) has diminished as this has happened. What are the possibilities?

View more questions Search