Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alonaaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 08:00 PM
    How do I respond to a request for summary judgement in a medical malpractice suit
    My son is a quadrapalegic due to in my opinion and others medical malpractice during labor and delivery. However we had an attorney get the ball rolling for us, then responded incorrectly to things and then dropped us. As soon as he did the defendants filed a motion for summary judgement. I don't know how to respond. Please help
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 08:09 PM

Hello a:

Without a lawyer, you can't win. Hire a new one, or throw in the towel.

excon
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Jul 19, 2010, 07:38 AM

Very sorry to hear about your son. Excon is right, you need a lawyer, especially in a case with such huge damages. I can't imagine any lawyer that would drop your case unless there simply wasn't malpractice. Have you tried to get another lawyer?

A motion for summary judgment will end your case if you lose. You need to present expert affidavits in most cases which means paying a doctor.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2010, 11:15 AM

You need to do something immediately as in getting another attorney involved in this case or you will lose the case completely at the time of the MSJ hearing! Try shopping around for another attorney who will take your case on a contingency basis. That may be impossible since it's a malpractice case and the costs could be quite high. That may be why the other attorney bailed out as he couldn't keep paying for the experts. Med Mal cases are norotiously expensive to try!!

Hopefully you have gotten your son's entire file with copies of the expert's affidavits or deposition transcripts. If not, contact the other attorney and get the entire file or at least as much of it as you can now before he changes his mind and does not allow you to retrieve any of the case file.

Excon is 100% correct. You cannot properly do a Response to a Motion for Summary Judgment unless you are an attorney. Won't work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to respond to a motion for summary judgement [ 1 Answers ]

How do we respond to a motion for summary judgement on a foreclosure?

Do I have a medical malpractice suit? [ 4 Answers ]

I recently had outpatient shoulder surgery. Prior to the surgery, the Anesthesiologist convinced me that a nerve block was the way to go, so I agreed and allowed him to do a nerve block on me as part of my anesthesia. My shoulder surgery seems to have gone well, however the very next day I...

How to respond to Summary judgement motion? [ 1 Answers ]

I am representing myself as defendant against plaintiff, a collection agency. P has filed motion for summary judgement in civil court. How do I respond to that, and also how do I file motion to dismiss on factual errors by the P? Court is in Hartford, Connecticut. Shannon

Credit card suit, summary judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I received a journal entry from the clerk of courts stating the summary judgement in the credit card suit against me was granted in favor of Asset Acceptance Corp.I owe 4,616.58 + 1,866.87 interest and court costs. Do I, still have to go to court for trial date in Feb. 2009? And if not what will...

View more questions Search