Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kilhefner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 11:21 AM
    Can pex lines leak and pop open under strong water pressure?
    I opened the shut off valves of the new shower faucet and water started leaking after hearing a pop sound and no water came through the shower head but through outside the line between the walls.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 18, 2010, 12:22 PM

Hi Kilhefner...

As you suspected... doesn't sound good... huh? If the PEX wasn't tested prior to finishing the walls it is certainly possible for someone to forget to crimp a fitting... UGH!

I'd remove the face plate/trim and take a flashlight and look inside the wall at the shower valve itself... see if you can see what has become loose. If you don't see anything loose at the valve it could be the issue is closer to the floor.

Either way it looks like you'll be opening the wall to resolve this. Hopefully, you have a closet or unfinished wall behind the valve. If needed, most home improvement stores sell access panels (see image) that are a simple SNAP fit... no need to tape and plaster and they look pretty darn good overall... ;) These can be wall papered or painted if needed.

Back to you for your thoughts...

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water pressure using PEX manifold [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting ready to re-plumb my entire house. I plan to switch from Copper to PEX. The reason is that I have a well and the water causes pinhole leaks in the copper. My question is: The current setup is a standard tee and branch. I have 1/2" pipe coming off of the 3/4" mains in the...

Upgrading Water Lines From 1/2 in Copper to 5/8 or 3/4 PEX [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I am new to this community and am impressed with the amount of knowledge out there. So here is my situation: I have a well and the current main line and water feeds are all 1/5 inch copper. When someone is in the shower you literally cannot even touch a faucet. The water...

Using PEX for water supply lines [ 14 Answers ]

I am thinking about using PEX lines for my new basement bathroom. Are there different grades of PEX and if so which should I use. Is the PEX that a Home Depot or Lowe's sell any good. Thanks

Well water pressure, strong then weak [ 4 Answers ]

Please help! My daughter's normal 30 min shower turned in to an hour this morning!! I have a 40 year old home on a crawl space. The system has a bladder type pressure tank, a reasonably new water softener, a new water heater, and a submersible well pump. I have performed the recommended routine...

Water supply strong; pressure weak [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just replaced an old leaking Moen 1225 cartridge. The plastic removal tool was useless against the stuff holding the old cartridge inside the tube. I ended up having to basically chisel the old cartridge out in pieces. The new one went in just fine and the initial problem is fixed. ...

View more questions Search