Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roxyc Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2010, 02:59 PM
    Why my 8 year old daughter woke up w discoloration around her mouth?
    My 8 year old daughter woke up with discoloration around her mouth, why?

Jul 17, 2010, 03:08 PM
    Has anyone ever had their child wake up w discolration around their mouth?
    My daughter woke up with a purplish discoloration around her mouth. It happened once before and looked kind of like a clown smile, it went away on its own after a few weeks. Not sure why this is happening? Any one have similar situation?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by roxyc View Post
    my 8 year old daughter woke up with discoloration around her mouth, why?
    Please post your question only once.

Did you ask her doctor about this?

Jul 17, 2010, 03:22 PM

I haven't yet. Last time it happened about 1 1/2 years ago it ended up going away on its own. I talked w one doctor and there are many diff causes.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 03:30 PM

We have a couple of medical people here who usually come online in the evening. I'll PM them to take note of your post.

Jul 17, 2010, 03:34 PM

I haven't yet. Last time it happened about 1 1/2 years ago it ended up going away on its own. I talked w one doctor and there are many diff causes.

Jul 17, 2010, 03:35 PM

Thank you. Much appreciated!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 03:36 PM
    i havent yet. last time it happend about 1 1/2 years ago it ended up going away on its own. I talked w one doctor and there are many diff causes.
    I contacted some medical experts who will be checking in later today. Meanwhile, did you look this up on the Internet?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 03:43 PM
    thank you. much appreciated!
    Is it possible the color was left from something she ate or drank before she went to bed (although you said it took a while to disappear?)?

The mouth is a place where digestive or respiratory problems can surface, so I'm thinking it might be a good question to bring up to your doctor. At last, it would relieve your mind to find out it's harmless if it happens again.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 04:04 PM

Whatever you are describing is not good. You don't say what age. Are you sure you saw exactly what you are describing ? You have to be sure before you describe it here, roxyc.

If I was unsure about anything unusual in a sleeping child, or upon wakening, I would want to know from a doctor what was going on. Not from strangers and waiting for an answer. Get yourself together woman and take your child to a doctor if you are unsure about her appearance.

Ms tickle

Jul 17, 2010, 04:17 PM
    I have seen a doctor . They are not positive but don't feel it's an emergency. She's very healthy and it doesn't hurt her. It does go away. I am asking out if curiosity if anyone else has seen this not because I'm concerned about her health. I really don't appreciate your remark. I am a womderful mother and I am extremely involved w my childens health.

Jul 17, 2010, 04:17 PM
    I have seen a doctor . They are not positive but don't feel it's an emergency. She's very healthy and it doesn't hurt her. It does go away. I am asking out if curiosity if anyone else has seen this not because I'm concerned about her health. I really don't appreciate your remark. I am a womderful mother and I am extremely involved w my childens health.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 04:45 PM

When you say "discoloration," what color? Bluish maybe?

Jul 17, 2010, 04:55 PM

Bluish purplish. Like her pigment changed.
    Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 04:57 PM

You need to get her to a doctor ASAP. This usually indicates a heart or lung condition.

Is she overweight? If so, it could also be sleep apnea.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 05:05 PM
    I have seen a doctor . They are not positive but don't feel it's an emergency. She's very healthy and it doesn't hurt her. It does go away. I am asking out if curiosity if anyone else has seen this not because I'm concerned about her health. I really don't appreciate your remark. I am a womderful mother and I am extremly involved w my childens health.
    roxyc, as you can appreciate we have a lot of questions of the same nature here from a multitude of different people from every walk of life. If you felt I was offending you, I am sorry for that. We can't diagnose here, we are not allowed to. I personally have never heard of this but a blue lips when sleeping means to me a lack of oxygen in the blood stream.

Why would you think I was saying you were not a decent mother? I don't know you at all so would not make that assumption.

So, getting back to basics. Blue lips is a lack of oxygen when sleeping. Is she on any kind of medication?

What does her doctor say ?

Sleep apnea, just a thought, do you have a monitor in your room connected with hers and do you ever hear her coughing in her sleep? Lack of oxygen when sleeping and can be a life threatening occurrence.

You say healthy, okay, but the small nuances like blue lips does mean a lot and did you explain that do her doctor ?

Tick

Jul 17, 2010, 05:13 PM

She does not have blue lips. The pigment discoloration is around her mouth on face. I do know blu lips is a sign of low oxygen.she is 8 and is a twin. Her sis does not have this. They both have been on albruteral and pulmicort since about 3 months old. However only need it now a couple of times a year. It looks like a stain on her face.

Jul 17, 2010, 05:20 PM
    It is not left from food or drink. I have spoke w doctor. Still unsure

Jul 17, 2010, 05:24 PM

She is not over weight either.
    Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 05:27 PM

You still need to have her checked out. This is still a sign of heart and/or lung problems.

It could be nothing more than a simple murmur, but better to be sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 16 year old daughter ran off with 27 year old man [ 12 Answers ]

Over the last year we have been in a constant battle to prevent a man 27 years old from having a relationship we our 15 year old daughter, when we found out we tried to stop all contact but he continued to groom her into believing that he loved her sending text messages and meeting her in secret...

Is there a law against a 12 year old boy having sex with my 12 year old daughter? [ 6 Answers ]

My 12 year old daughter was conspiring with her 12 year old boyfriend to have sex (intercourse). Fortunately we found out in time and are now restricting her freedom appropriately. However, the mother of the boy would like him to apologize to us (the parents) and she wants me to put the fear of God...

My 12 year old daughter soars in back of mouth [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my daught has these soars,you know where your teeth end that's were they r she had a fever and she was nautious we have no idea what it is but she can't swallow anything salty peppery' and it burns please helpp my name is stephanie

View more questions Search