Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdeering05 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jul 17, 2010, 02:13 PM
    Reincarnation? If you believe it, can you prevent it?
    I need to know if one can avoid reincarnation? I was raised in Catholic schools, have in time realized that religion is just another form of politics.A mans game to gain control and wealth. Surely not a loving, all forgiving Gods intention for humanity.Yes I know the Bible, and believe it is but one source of history, not a life guide, as too much has been omitted by mans choice, too much is left to simple interpretation. I believe it is a good source book but as we humans tend to all be very individually designed, nothing that is perfect for one of us will be perfect for the next in the same context. Strictly common sense. So, as I am exploring theories, and re-evaluating my own self, I want to look at everything out there and see if in outlining them, can I find my own truth. Which to me, is all that matters in the end. So, if there is truth in reincarnation, how would one avoid it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 05:57 PM

If it was true ( and its not of course) there would be no way to avoid it.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2010, 06:03 PM

Please don't believe that bull about reincarnation! You know what the truth is. Good luck
    Oddboots Posts: 57, Reputation: 8

Jul 17, 2010, 10:00 PM
    There are many truths.

Decide what you want to believe, not what others tell you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 10:25 PM

You would do well to read up on reincarnation for your own edification. Here's one site: A Basic Buddhism Guide: On Reincarnation

Here's another: http://www.hinduwebsite.com/reincarnation.asp

If there is such a thing, no one can avoid it.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2010, 10:32 PM
    If you Believe in something, as in if you accept (really accept) that it is the way life is or truth is or faith is... why would you try to avoid it?

So you could live an unfaithful or untruthful life and "get away with it?"

I don't think that is belief at all.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 12:32 AM
    Hi, cdeering05!

I don't believe in it. I don't see any reason to believe in it. Do you have any reasons to suspect that there might be any truth to it being a reality, please?

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2010, 07:56 AM

I suspect there must be some truth to it if there is truth in that our souls journey is never ending. If we are here by choice on our cycle through evolution, to learn something, or change something by our very existence here for the betterment of the future then there must be some truth in reincarnation. To what extent I do not know, nor do I know if it is possible to get the answer. My answer, when and if I have it, will lead to more questions I am afraid. That's how this has been going. I have found a good source on hinduism and will be checking the links wondergirl provided (thank u!) I do have faith that I will recognize my own truth when I find it, because I do believe it is as different for each of us as we are from one another. But I do wish I had started looking earlier. Life you know, gets in the way of those things that sometimes your soul really desires. Thank you for considering it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdeering05 View Post
    I need to know if one can avoid reincarnation??
    Hello again, c:

Yes. Make sure that when you take your last breath, your fingers are crossed.

excon

Jul 20, 2010, 08:25 AM

Dude you are just too cute! But I will keep that in mind. Thanks. Dudette
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 04:07 PM

There is no such thing. Why would someone want to leave heaven to come back.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jul 21, 2010, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    There is no such thing. Why would someone want to leave heaven to come back.?
    Hi KitKat,

Basically, I think the idea is that once you achieve Nirvana you don't have to leave heaven. The only people who come back are those who are in hell. There are forced to come back in order to try and achieve a higher level of attainment.

Regards
    Tut
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2010, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    Hi KitKat,

Basically, I think the idea is that once you achieve Nirvana you don't have to leave heaven. The only people who come back are those who are in hell. There are forced to come back in order to try and achieve a higher level of attainment.

Regards
    Tut
    If you believe that.. I have some nice ocean front property in Arizona I'll sell you. When a person is in either place, there is no coming back. My opinion. The only Nirvana I know of is the band . Kurt Cobain.:rolleyes:

Jul 21, 2010, 04:38 PM
    If you believe that..I have some nice ocean front property in Arizona I'll sell you. When a person is in either place, there is no coming back. My opinion. The only Nirvana I know of is the band . Kurt Cobain.:rolleyes:

Hi again KitKat .

I didn't say I believed it. I just answered your question.

Regards
    Tut
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2010, 04:42 PM
    Hi again KitKat .

I didn't say I believed it. I just answered your question.

Regards
    Tut
    Where did you hear or read this? Really I have never heard of it? I'm glad you don't believe in that malarkey. When your soul leaves your body it's gone to heaven or hell. No second chances.

Jul 21, 2010, 05:06 PM
    Where did you hear or read this? Really I have never heard of it? I'm glad you don't believe in that malarkey. When your soul leaves your body it's gone to heaven or hell. No second chances.
    I can't remember where I read it. Hinduism is one of the oldest religions. Eastern and Western religions developed along different lines.

The idea of the universe having a beginning and ending is a well established philosophical tradition going back to the Ancient Greeks. Christianity, with the idea of, 'no second chances' fits in well with this tradition.

Eastern philosophy took a different view. There is no beginning or end to the universe. It goes through endless cycles. So the 'Big Bang' (beginning of the universe) is no more significant than another part of the cycle. On this basis reincarnation fits in well this this line of thinking.

Regards

Tut

P.S. Nice cat.
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2010, 05:11 PM
    I can't remember where I read it. Hinduism is one of the oldest religions. Eastern and Western religions developed along different lines.

The idea of the universe having a beginning and ending is a well established philosophical tradition going back to the Ancient Greeks. Christianity, with the idea of, 'no second chances' fits in well with this tradition.

Eastern philosophy took a different view. There is no beginning or end to the universe. It goes through endless cycles. So the 'Big Bang' (beginning of the universe) is no more significant than another part of the cycle. On this basis reincarnation fits in well this this line of thinking.

Regards

Tut

P.S. Nice cat.

Sorry... I don't believe your theory... By the way that cat is me reincarnated!:eek: I believe in the Holy Bible and God and Jesus... Kit

Jul 22, 2010, 09:56 AM

I believed the Heaven and Hell theory, although never without question. If god is all forgiving, and if we are here to achieve some advancement to our knowledge then why would we be eternally punished for getting it wrong? And here is a theory, what if THIS is hell, and the true goal is to get it right to get out? We are human, we cannot be perfect.. If we could, then would that not be heaven? Yet we are here, trying to achieve an expected perfection that by our very nature is unobtainable and putting all our hopes into theories written by men, and we do it in blind faith. Why is the christian bible right and anothers wrong? There are too many similarities between them all. Take 5 catholics individually and they will each interpret the same bible verse differently. I think they should all be studied, ( the 'bibles' of the different religions, not the 5 catholics) and pull from them the common beliefs and start over from there, just as a starting point. It's a tiring thought. One that makes the blind faith system look easier if not better. Sorry, thinking out loud. If we need to achieve a higher level of knowledge, and if we are starting with a flawed premise, then its no wonder humanity is in the mess it is in. Sure there is good and bad in everyone, to different extremes. But if you take the 7 deadly sins, really look at what each one covers, in private ,honestly look within oneself and see which ones you commit. We are human and with the blinders off that really begins to sound like an insult. Well, not Kitkat, she is saved. She is a cat. (Teehee)

Jul 22, 2010, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdeering05 View Post
    Take 5 catholics individually and they will each interpret the same bible verse differently. I think they should all be studied, ( the 'bibles' of the different religions, not the 5 catholics) and pull from them the common beliefs and start over from there, just as a starting point. Its a tiring thought. One that makes the blind faith system look easier if not better. Sorry, thinking out loud. If we need to achieve a higher level of knowledge, and if we are starting with a flawed premise, then its no wonder humanity is in the mess it is in.

Interesting point you make. There are some similarities even between Western and Eastern religion. As you say, heaven and hell being one of them. Interesting isn't it? When I think about it we don't actually,' get one shot at it' (sorry KitKat) . In Christian religions no one is without sin so we ask for forgiveness. In doing so hopefully we will become a better person. So in a way we do get a few attempts to get it right. Reincarnation seems to have a similar idea except we have to wait until the beginning of time to have another go.

From my point of view, 'the fly in the ointment' when it comes to religion is the idea of time. If we all had a common understanding of time then some sort of synthesis would be more likely. The problem is that despite our best efforts we really don't understand what time is> other than something that seems to pass.

Steven Hawking (the wheelchair guy) came up with an idea of imaginary time. As it turns out imaginary time can be just as real as the linear time we normally experience.

Tut
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2010, 02:47 PM
    Interesting point you make. There are some similarities even between Western and Eastern religion. As you say, heaven and hell being one of them. Interesting isn't it? When I think about it we don't actually,' get one shot at it' (sorry KitKat) . In Christian religions no one is without sin so we ask for forgiveness. In doing so hopefully we will become a better person. So in a way we do get a few attempts to get it right. Reincarnation seems to have a similar idea except we have to wait until the beginning of time to have another go.

From my point of view, 'the fly in the ointment' when it comes to religion is the idea of time. If we all had a common understanding of time then some sort of synthesis would be more likely. The problem is that despite our best efforts we really don't understand what time is> other than something that seems to pass.

Steven Hawking (the wheelchair guy) came up with an idea of imaginary time. As it turns out imaginary time can be just as real as the linear time we normally experience.

Tut
    Tut... Look... I.m a Christian, not a very good one sometimes, but nevertheless I know where I am going when I die. It''s a good thought and it's also having the blessed assurance of knowing, I'm not coming back once I'm with the Lord. It makes the troubles of this world bearable.

I joke and kid around but my belief is my belief... The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. Heaven, what a wonderful place it is and Hell... it's unimaginable torment forever. You have to have the blood applied to your heart. I can't make people believe the way I do. I wish I could.

... Kit:)

Please tell me you don't think you're King Tut reincarnated:eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reincarnation [ 264 Answers ]

This stirred up so much anger in another website that I am on, answerway.com What do you think about reincarnation. Do you believe in the possibilities that reincarnation exists and was taught in the earlier christian churches? Thank you in advance! Joe

Reincarnation, do you want to come back? [ 12 Answers ]

If reincarnation were true, would you want to come back to earth?

Reincarnation joke [ 4 Answers ]

Reincarnation Bryan came home from the pub late one Friday evening stinking drunk, as he often did, and crept into bed beside his wife who was already asleep. He gave a peck on the cheek and fell asleep. When he awoke he found a strange man standing at the end of his bed wearing a long flowing...

Reincarnation suggestion [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all! Firstly, I hope this is in the right spot and secondly, I have had a thought and I was just wondering what people think about it. OK so, you know how people who have had near death experiences and most of them always say that they saw a dark tunnel with a bright light at the end? well...

Faith in rebirth or reincarnation? [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know if Buddhists & or Hindus have faith in reincarnation & karma. Man's need for spirituality wasn't fulfilled in India in ancient times. God spoke to the Jewish people first. If God did not speak directly to the Hindus-& they created the spirituality about what or who is God...

View more questions Search