Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2006, 10:11 AM
    Child support question
    I was always curious. The judge tells the husband he must pay $700.00 a
    Month in child support. Can he demand the wife keep an itemized list
    Of things she purchased on the child's behalf. He claims the wife is using his support money on herself?
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Dec 16, 2006, 10:43 AM
    No... he cannot "demand" the wife keep an itemized list of things she purchases for the children. Unless the children's well being isn't being met... there is nothing he can do. He needs to realized that the childsupport money includes necessities regarding help with payment on house/or rent of house, hygiene necessities, gas in vehicle to transport children, etc. etc.

Also... keep in mind that the mother does not determine the amount of childsupport. The court does.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 16, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Single4 is right HE cannot demand, but if he feels that the child's wellbeing is not being met, he can take her to court and the court can DEMAND.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2006, 01:30 PM
    It's not likely. No judge is going to want to be bothered with all that red tape. The law says he has to support his kid, period. He can claim all he wants (and there may indeed be some truth to his claims) but that has no legal bearing whatsoever. If you suspect that the child in question is being neglected, despite the $700.00 per month paid on his/her behalf, then that becomes a separate issue.
    calawmom Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2006, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneill474
    I was always curious. The judge tells the husband he must pay $700.00 a
    month in child support. Can he demand the wife keep an itemized list
    of things she purchased on the child's behalf. He claims the wife is using his support money on herself?
    I just had this issue come up in my practice. I will say that it varies from court to court. My hometown court will say (and DOES say) the following: that 700.00 contributes to the "child's quality of life" in general. My court does not make custodial parents keep lists. Other courts in other states may require this. As a general rule, I always advise divorcing or conflicted parents to keep receipts of purchases for the children, especially major ones like dental work, etc. Never hurts to have the paperwork.

That said, some non-custodial parents will use the "list keeping" as a way to continue to control or harass the other parent. This is not good for the child/ren.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Child Support Question [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Texas. My daughter's father took a job in Iraq for a very large pay increase last February. I have contacted the local child support agency but they say they can only modify the order if he is back in the states for at least 6 months. This won't happen for a long time. He comes back...

Another modification to child support question [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, After proposing mediation for a more structured visitation order, my ex-husband (Respondent)decided to get an attorney. I did pro-per (Petitioner) because it wasn't such a big issue to me, I just wanted something in writing instead of the assumptions as to who it was that had a weekend with my...

Child support and debt question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I used to live in the UK, but now am resident here in the states. When my ex husband and I divorced there were debts left from the marriage. Over here I am trying to pay them but alas about a year behind payment schedules which I shall be changing soon hopefully. One question is Will non...

View more questions Search