Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2010, 05:46 PM
    Timeshare cancellations
    I purchased a timeshare in Mexico and cancelled the purchase according to Mexican law two days later. The people who own the timeshare stated to me that unless I sign a cancellation agreement including a gag order promising to not speak negatively about the time share, even though the entire presentation was full of lies and false promises, that they would not cancel and refund the money. Can they force me to sign a gag order? If I sign the gag order and write that I feel it is under duress, can they hold me legally accountable for it? They state in the gag order that if I make any derogatory statements about my experience to anyone, that they will sue me under the terms of the cancellation agreement. Do they have to honor the cancellation agreement if I sign and simply cross out and initial the gag order? Thanks for any help.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 10:27 AM

If you cross out the wording you don't like you won't get your deposit back.

Here are your options - sign, keep quiet, get a refund.

Don't sign and don't get a refund - suing in a Mexican Court is almost impossible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2010, 12:03 PM

Sign it, get your money and then sue in court to have the gag ordered over turned if you want to say bad things about them
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 19, 2010, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by WMorg555 View Post
    I purchased a timeshare in Mexico and cancelled the purchase according to Mexican law two days later. The people who own the timeshare stated ... that they would not cancel and refund the money. ...
    Which is it? Did you cancel according to Mexican law, or do they have to agree before cancellation is effective?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Timeshare [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any tax reporting requirements for a timeshare owner?

Timeshare-need out [ 1 Answers ]

I own 2 timeshares, I've tried to sell them but no luck,how do I get rid of these without being sued or putting a lien against my home? Yearly association fees are killing me ! I'm not working.:eek:

Surrendering timeshare [ 3 Answers ]

We filed for chapter 13, and we included our timeshare on it. How would we know id there is any potential tax consequences associated with deed in lieu of foreclosure? Our lawyer send us a letter of warranty deed. Can you please help us and tell us where to find the answer to our concern. ...

Timeshare delinquent [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased a small timeshare in 10/2001 for $4000.00 and ran into some major financial problems after that. We were unable to pay and tried to sell it back as we were told we could do. They told us we could not sell it back at that time. It was turned over to a collection agency in...

Bankrupty cancellations [ 1 Answers ]

Can a bankruptsy be cancelled,

View more questions Search