Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimbleandnatman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2010, 04:03 PM
    With a reverse mortgage can they forclose 12 after the last borrower vacates.
    I recently lost my parent who had a reverse mortgage which amounts to $300,000 right now. The property is only worth about 500,000 in today's market, but prior to the housing market bottoming out it was valued at 1,200,000, (two homes on three acres in California) Both homes are rented out and another one and a half acres is also rented out. Am I correct in that the mortgage company can foreclose on the property 12 months from the date that the last borrower vacates the property? And is my only option if I want to keep the property to get another loan to cover the reverse mortgage?
    Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2010, 05:30 PM

A reverse mortgage is where the lender provides the homeowner with income and a life estate in the property for title to the property when the owners vacate. The lender doesn't have to foreclose, just take possession.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 05:41 PM

The lender should already own the property, the borrow is just allowed to live there for money they got earlier or for monthly payments they were getting.

So it is not foreclose, they merely take possession of their house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reverse mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everybody, I am renting a house that is probate, the man died in December, he had a reverse mortgage on this house since 1994, he lived to be 99 years old, the original mortgage was brought by another bank, I need help in finding who bought the reverse mortgage, the son said it will go into...

Reverse mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

I know how reverse mortgage it works. But suppose the house is owned jointly by husband and wife. The husband is over 62. But the wife is not. What happens to the house if the husband dies. Since both names appear on the deed?

Does sigining the mortgage make a spouse a co-borrower? [ 10 Answers ]

I am married in the state of Illinois. My husband owned our house before we got married, and my name is not on the deed. He is about to refinance, and the lenders want me to sign: a Truth in Lending, the mortgage (not the mortgage note), and a form that says I can cancel within 3 days. My...

Pay off mortgage, absent co-borrower [ 4 Answers ]

When I got my mortgage 16 years ago I had a friend co-sign, he was the primary borrower, I had no credit history at the time. I have made all payments, he is in& out of jail, I don't know where he is. I did get a quit claim in 2001 from him, he is still on the mortgage. I am going to pay off loan...

Our mortgage company wants to forclose [ 6 Answers ]

We refinanced our house over a month ago and we are still receiving calls from the previous mortgage indicating that the payment is past due. Duh!! My husband called them last night because they sent us a letter threatening foreclosure and he told them that they were paid off a month ago. They put...

View more questions Search