Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2010, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I'm not a big believer in meds if other interventions can prove to be useful. The ADHD child definitely needs structure. Caregivers must set parameters and stick to them, be consistent.The ideas you've been given here will help, but you are not his parent, so I'm not sure how much you can do on your own, especially if he gets different signals from his parents.
    Thanks WG,
    And that's what I thought
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 01:01 PM

Well, so far it seems as though things are getting better.

My Mum realized how badly my brother is behaving and now there is more structure. He now has a set bedtime and rules are enforced rather than just repeating "I said enough" or threatening punishments.

I sat him down and told him "I may be your sister, but during the day I AM your boss and you have to behave. When you are nice, I'll be nice. When yoiu are bad, you will be punished"

I also set up more of a structure for the day (with input from my Mum). Certain times are play time, certain times are meal/snack time, and at certain times he can go over his friend's house.

The other day he ended up in the corner many many times and sent to bed a few times too. But after that morning, he seems to be doing well. He is hitting less and being a little less mouthy.

Thank you to all of you for your suggestions. I really appreciate the help.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2010, 07:49 AM

Glad to hear you are seeing improvement and that your mother is backing you up on the changes. It helps tremendously when everyone involved is on the same page. Wishing you continued success with it... should be much more enjoyable for everyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 18 year old is out of control [ 2 Answers ]

My 18 year old daughter has always been a good kid and student until recently. Her and her boyfriend broke up 6 months ago and she has been feeling "lost". She has always had self esteem issues. Now for the past 2 months she has been happier and made new friends. At first, we thought this was a...

Out of control 4 year old [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my name is faith and I have a sister that really needs help with her kids and getting them under control her and her husband have 3 kids the oldest is her step daughter she is 8 she is a pretty good kid however there 4 year old is very bad and there 2 year old is getting that way the 4 year...

18 year old out of control. [ 5 Answers ]

Help!! She got my house robbed 3X. Last incident 1/9/08. The police are doing nothing. She has put her hands on me. She is just mean to me and my 10 year old. My 10 year old was afraid to come home yesterday. I have a sick mother and sitter and can't take much more. Can I put her out of my...

My three year old is out of control. [ 8 Answers ]

Hi my name is Iyishah Bennett. I am 19 years old and I have an out of control 3 year old. He doesn't listen. He hits other children and even me. He seems to have no problem with people with blond hair. His daycare teacher has black hair and he makes her life hell every time he goes to...

12 year old out of control [ 19 Answers ]

Sorry this is long, but you need all the details. Okay guys, I need your collecive thoughts on this dilemma, a friend of mine is having problems with her 12 year old daughter. Mom, I will call her Pam, Daughter I will call her Meg, Dad I will call him Ben Pam had Meg later in life and Meg is...

View more questions Search