Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 02:28 PM

Wow!

Just wow!

This is just nuts. Do the parents of these kids really think that a contract, a party, and a ring are going to keep their daughters "pure"?

Also, the contract is just creepy.

The whole thing is just laughable.

Bottom line, if you want to remain "pure" then don't have sex. If you want a ring, buy a ring, call it a purity ring if it makes you feel better, but a ring is a ring is a ring. Even if it's blessed by the pope himself, it's still just a ring.

Sex, no sex, that's up to you. No fancy party, contract or jewelry is going to make you keep your legs crossed. If that's what you need in order to keep your promise, then I really have to question your faith to begin with. No ring means no promise? Is that it? Sounds like a way to get mom and dad to throw a fancy party and dish out money for some bling.

This is just plain ridiculous.

I'd rather talk to my kids, warn them about the consequences of sex, educate them, and if need be, take them to the doctor for some birth control because guess what, I'm realistic, and I know what it's like to be a horny out of control teen.

Better safe then sorry. So unless that ring is attached to a chastity belt and I'm the only one with the key, it's not going to do diddly squat.
    Lexilulu Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Jul 22, 2010, 01:05 PM

People, the reason I want to wear a purity ring is because it represents my commitment to God to stay pure, just as he asked of me. It may just be a piece of jewelry to you, but to me its saying "I'm a virgin, and I'm proud to be one, because true love waits". I'm not going to buy one, and then suddenly give into some guy trying to get into my pants... I may be young right now, and thinking about waiting to have sex should be far from my mind, but have you actually stopped and looked around at teenagers these days? People are throwing away their virginities like it's no big deal. But to me its HUGE. When I do swipe my V-card it will be with the one person I love with all my heart, and I'll be ready to give my love to him and become one:) If you don't understand that, then I'm very sorry...
    Thanks!
    Lexi
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexilulu View Post
    If you don't understand that, then I'm very sorry...
    What I don't understand is why you need a ring in the first place. Most of us growing up during the '50s were virgins on our wedding night without benefit of a purity ring. Maybe it was the "NO" branded on our foreheads that did the trick.

Jul 22, 2010, 01:19 PM

Well for me... I'm going to wear the ring until I get married. The wedding ring will then replace the purity ring. It's just stating my abstinance, it's a privlage to be able to wear one. And if one day I do happen to slip up, I don't have the privilege to wear any longer.
    Ma'am, I'm just one teenager's opinion on this. But that's just how I feel about this:)
    Thanks!
    Lexi
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 01:27 PM
    Well for me... I'm going to wear the ring until I get married. The wedding ring will then replace the purity ring. It's just stating my abstinance, it's a privlage to be able to wear one. And if one day I do happen to slip up, I don't have the privilage to wear any longer.
    Ma'am, I'm just one teenager's opinion on this. But that's just how I feel about this:)
    Thanks!
    Lexi
    You're welcome! So you wear it until you "slip up," and then you take it off. I get it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2010, 01:31 PM

Thanks!

Lexi

Hi, Lexi!

And, you know what? That's okay! :)

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2010, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You're welcome! So you wear it until you "slip up," and then you take it off. I get it.
    The odds of me slipping up are very low, ma'am. Some people do sometimes. I will not be one of them. It's NOT something you say "well, if I goof off, I goof off". No, it's a commitment to God. That's something you cherish and respect, and take pride in. Slipping up is frowned upon greatly. Some people don't understand that...

Jul 22, 2010, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, Lexi!

And, you know what? That's okay! :)

Thanks!
    Thank you:) You're the first person to say this, you know. If you read most of the other comments, (other than emoprincess's, thank you too:)) its just people saying why I would do this. So thank you very much.
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2010, 01:59 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough
    Hi, Lexi!

And, you know what? That's okay!

Thanks!
    Thank you:) You're the first person to say this, you know. If you read most of the other comments, (other than emoprincess's, thank you too:)) its just people saying why I would do this. So thank you very much.
    You're welcome!

It's a visible symbol of one of the ways that you choose to show your commitment to God. For that, I commend you!

You're practicing what you profess, believe as well as what you preach!

I wish that more people would take their Christian loyalty and faith life to heart as much!

Thanks!
    Pets Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 02:49 PM

I still don't understand why you need a ring in order to make a commitment of any kind.

When my husband and I were dating, when we decided that it would be a good time to get engaged, plan our future, money was tight. I was in college, he was working in a minimum wage job. A ring wasn't something that we could afford, even a plain gold band which at that time only cost around $50.

We thought about it long and hard, and we both decided that it's just a ring. It doesn't symbolize our love for each other, or the commitment we were about to make. It's just a ring.

The only people that will see it as an obvious symbol are outsiders, and if they need to see a ring to know you're committed, well that's pretty sad. If you know what's in your heart and soul. If you've made a commitment to God to stay a virgin, then you don't need a ring in order to seal the deal.

Just my opinion.
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2010, 02:53 PM
    It's okay to wear a ring, Lexi!

Each person will have their own opinion. You'll just be joining with others who have the same sort of opinion that you do.

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2010, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I still don't understand why you need a ring in order to make a commitment of any kind.

When my husband and I were dating, when we decided that it would be a good time to get engaged, plan our future, money was tight. I was in college, he was working in a minimum wage job. A ring wasn't something that we could afford, even a plain gold band which at that time only cost around $50.

We thought about it long and hard, and we both decided that it's just a ring. It doesn't symbolize our love for each other, or the commitment we were about to make. It's just a ring.

The only people that will see it as an obvious symbol are outsiders, and if they need to see a ring to know you're committed, well that's pretty sad. If you know what's in your heart and soul. If you've made a commitment to God to stay a virgin, then you don't need a ring in order to seal the deal.

Just my opinion.
    It just symbolize's that you'll wait... It's a symbolization of the commitment you've made with God to wait. Just like wedding rings symbolize that you are committed to your husband, and that you're no longer looking for someone, you're off the market.
    I don't understand what the big tiff about someone wearing a ring to symbolize their commitment with God to stay pure is so hard to grasp on this site! Just saying:) I would think that the way my generation is being raised to think now a days, y'all wouldn't be questioning this, but being happy someone has their head on right. :confused:
    Thanks!
    Lexi

Jul 22, 2010, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    It's okay to wear a ring, Lexi!

Each person will have their own opinion. You'll just be joining with others who have the same sort of opinion that you do.

Thanks!
    Thank you:) You're very encouraging!
    Pets Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 03:38 PM

I am happy that you have your head on right, and I'm very proud of the fact that you're taking this so seriously. I just don't understand why you need a ring in order to do it.

Can I ask one question, without you getting upset?

If you can't get the ring, does that mean that the deal is off, or will you still make that commitment to God?

I am cynical about this, because I know people who did the purity party, the purity ring, the whole nine yards with their daughters.

One of the girls got the party, a beautiful dress, was presented with the ring at the party, and then went to the coat closet with her boyfriend and had sex. She just wanted the ring and the party

From what you've posted I can see that you are indeed taking this seriously, and that you really honor this commitment. I guess I just don't understand why you need a ring in order to do it.

If it's just a symbol, and not about buying the ring, having a bit of bling, than why not just get a $10 ring from a store that sells cosmetic jewelry? Some of those rings are very nice and tasteful. If it's the symbol and not the ring, then this should suffice. Right?

Do you understand where I'm going with this?

I just want to end with this. I hope you keep your commitment, and you should be very proud that you have decided to wait. I never meant to make you feel like I didn't agree with what you're doing.

Having said that. If you're intent on a ring, here's a site that sells all kinds, and some are very inexpensive.

† Purity Rings - True Love Waits Rings - Christian Chastity, Abstinence, & Promise Rings
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 03:45 PM

Like Alty, I too applaud you for wanting to remain chaste until marriage. Like Alty, I don't understand why a ring makes any difference. My husband and I don't wear wedding rings but have been married (we got that way legally, in a religious ceremony at age 21, both virgins) for 43 years.

It just seems like you are issuing a challenge to guys to knock that hat off your head.

I do wish you the best.

Jul 22, 2010, 06:35 PM

Everyone has their different opinions, I am for wearing a ring around to symbolize and show people that I'm prepared to wait. You may see it as a waste of money, but I don't think wedding rings are a waste either. It's showing "hey, I'm off the market, I belong to God, and if if I marry you one day I'll belong to you too". I don't go around shouting out to the world saying "Hey, I'm waiting for sex so if you date me, I won't put out". They can glance down at my finger, and see that... I'm not issuing at all that I want guys to try and get me into bed, it's quite the opposite. Thanks for your opinions, this is how I feel about the situation...
    Thanks!
    Lexi
    Pets Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 09:06 PM

Lexi, did you take a look at the link I posted? There are some nice purity rings on it, some in the $20 range. If it's not the ring, but the symbolism that matters, I'm sure you could find one that wouldn't break the bank but speaks loud and clear to what it's intended for.

Jul 24, 2010, 03:03 PM

Yea I saw them:) Thank you for the link! I found the one I wanted on there, and it was within my price range! Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2010, 03:20 PM
    Hey, Lexilulu!

That's cool! :)
    Pets Expert

Jul 24, 2010, 03:35 PM
    Yea I saw them:) Thank you for the link! I found the one I wanted on there, and it was within my price range! Thanks!
    You're welcome.

Which one did you choose? We'd love to see a picture. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wheres the cheapest place to buy 20'' by 2.5'' cartridge water filters. [ 0 Answers ]

Where the cheapest place to buy 20'' cartridge filters

Which diamond ring should I buy? [ 3 Answers ]

Which dioamond ring should I buy a solitaire diamond ring or a diamond ring of small diamonds of same carat weight?

View more questions Search