Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Jul 16, 2010, 07:11 AM
    Hot spots
    I had my dog groomed and about a week later he smelled really bad. Turns out he had a hot spot in the rectum area. I took him to the vet and she shaved the hair from his behind and gave me drops to apply and some anti biotics. He is doing great . I have never had this problem with him before. I am wondering if it was from the shampoo ? Since he is a Heavy coated dog I only have him bathed to a year. Regular brushing is also done.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2010, 07:16 AM

Hot spots are often a hereditary problem, so if mum or dad had them, odds are yours will too.

Climate can have an effect, it's a lot harder to get rid of them in humid regions.

Brody has had one before and I cleared it up by bathing it in a mild salt solution. Just 1 cup warm water with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt in it.
    Just dab on the hotspot with a cotton ball a few times a day.
    The salt helps dry it out and heal faster.
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Jul 16, 2010, 07:20 AM

Thanks. He is 12 and never had one before. But we do live in the midwest and it has been hot and humid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Spots - Gentocin [ 1 Answers ]

I usually use Gentocin Spray to treat my Golden's hot spots. There seem to be meny different treatments available online. 1) Can anyone recommend a good home treatent? 2) Does anyone know where I can order Gentocin Spray WITHOUT A PRESCRIPTION? Thanks...

Hot spots in Cancun [ 2 Answers ]

I am leaving for Cancun on Sunday and was hoping someone could give me some ideas on the night life and great places to eat.

Hot Spots [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 yr old chow, in fairly good health for her age, who has recently started a hotspot on her hind leg. She has gotten them over the years, but this one seems to be bothering her worse. I have used different sprays for hot spots on it, including one called Hot Spot SPray. It seems to help...

My dog has these spots on his body that are burning HOT! [ 1 Answers ]

So I have this dog and he will have these spots that r burning hot and the rest of his body will be just fine and he will scratch at them and they will change 2 different parts of his body please help!! :eek:

Hot spots [ 6 Answers ]

My cocker spaniel is one year old and she is getting hot spots really bad it use to be just on her hind legs and stomach but now it's spreading to the front legs too. I have tried the hot spot shampoo and taking her to the vet. (which the tablets she takes from them help but doesn't last) what can...

View more questions Search