Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awilhelm Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2010, 02:49 AM
    I am 19 and got charged for theft under 5000 what will I get?
    Hello,

I work at walmart and the store right beside it sells healthy lunchs and I was going there every single day and buying lunch, when one day I was so tired and out of it because I am actually going to university to be a personal trainer and my mind and body was just so tired that I zoned out and completely forgot to pay, as soon as I got out side I thought I didn't pay and I stopped and was turning around when they grabbed me on the shoulder. I was 100% respectful and understood how they could think I was shoplifting I was respectful to everyone including the police officer and they let me go with a court date. I know I won't get any jail time because the retired police officer that now is the security guard at my work told me that there is no way I would get jail time, it is my first offence and it was 8 dollars work of well my lunch lol I just want to know if its possible that I could get off with nothing, I'm going to tell the truth and I 100% realise stealing is wrong. But I actually did not do anything. Thank you very much for your time

Jul 16, 2010, 02:52 AM

I was also working full time training at the gym for 3 hours a day than going home and doing school until 2 am to get up at 7 for work so that's why I was tired
    charged.me Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2010, 11:53 AM
    This is not a big deal, they will dismiss the charge for sure, you will be fine, Don't worry
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 06:35 PM

I will assume this is Canada ? They should have a first offender program ( if it goes that far) I would get an attorney to see about getting it dismissed.

Jul 16, 2010, 08:20 PM

Thanks guys, I was worried about it at the beginning but I don't really think that I should worry considering I did nothing wrong, also the manager who grabbed me, called my manager and told him and I thought that was illegal and ever since my bosses have been rude and horrible to me. Will I be OK if I go by myself? My court date is in less than a week, and yes sorry it is in Canada
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2010, 12:42 PM

No matter how tired you are it is against the law to walk away without paying. I realize you don't think you did anything wrong but apparently the Police think you did.

Your bosses are being rude and horrible because they think you are a thief.

Yes, go to Court by yourself. FrChuck is right. Ask - depending on the Province - to take part in the diversion program.

Jul 17, 2010, 04:11 PM

Actually the Police even said that the store owner was over reacting. And I realise its illegal that's why I didn't put up a fight.. did you not read what I said. Its not like I pocketed anything and I know for a fact majority of people out there have accidentally walked out of a store and than turned around to go pay, like I was just about to do, the police and loss provention guy at my work said if I was a couple years older they would have believed me but since I'm 19 they didn't.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2010, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by awilhelm View Post
    Actually the Police even said that the store owner was over reacting. And i realise its illegal thats why i didnt put up a fight.. did you not read what I said. Its not like i pocketed anything and i know for a fact majority of people out there have accidentally walked out of a store and than turned around to go pay, like i was just about to do, the police and loss provention guy at my work said if i was a couple years older they would have beleived me but since im 19 they didnt.

That's odd - I actually work with the Police (I'm an investigator) and I don't know for a fact that a majority of people who "accidentally walk out" without paying don't get charged. Where did you get these statistics?

If the Police and loss prevention "guy" said you were charged because you were 19 (and not older) you have a lawsuit against both the shop AND the Police for a civil rights violation. By all means go forward with that. It shouldn't be very hard to pull the arrest records and then subpoena them to testify. Hire an investigator to assist you.

And, yes, I read what you posted.

Jul 18, 2010, 07:08 PM

No you misunderstood me I said that majority of people walk out of a store without paying and turn around I know that everyone I have asked has done that in there life, I totally understand that its not legal to leave a store without paying, but I just really hope all goes well for me considering I had no intenstion of stealing. Thanks for your posts though

Jul 18, 2010, 07:10 PM

And I honestly have nothing against the store, because they were doing there job, they saw a person leave without paying. I just find it a little silly that they didn't ask for my side of it, and I think that has to do with my age personally
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 10:31 PM

Then get evidence, as I suggested, and sue based on age discrimination.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 5000 but not charged, what will happen [ 7 Answers ]

I was in a store recently and took a sample makeup. They valued the product at the original full size price 10.00. I regret this choice so much.. My questions are 1. I was not charged, police were called but because I have no other incidences, they said I get a warning. Will this show up on a...

Charged for theft under $5000 from employer [ 2 Answers ]

So I made a really stupid mistake:( . I work in an electronics store and a few days ago I got caught giving away a couple DVD's to a friend. I had actually done this twice. The first time I got away with, but the second... i got caught red handed. At that time, the Police were called in and...

Pregnant and being charged with theft under 5000 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am 8 months pregnant. And being charged with theft under 5000 for taking cash from my till at work. Needless to say it was a stupid thing to do but it was to put gas in my car so I could get to work the next day and to buy food. I was in all honesty just about to put the money back into the...

View more questions Search