Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SparklinDiamond Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2006, 07:40 AM
    What problems are there in taking a civil case to court?
    What problems are there in taking a civil case to court? :confused:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2006, 08:54 AM
    Hello Sparklin:

Problems?? Lawyer bills, lots of time and effort, plus you might lose.

excon
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2006, 08:20 PM
    Also depends on the amount of the claim.

It you are just taking them to small claims court, you won't have lawyers bills.

And as excon said, proof and time and effort.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2006, 03:25 PM
    The main problems are time and being sure you have a valid case to begin with. It can take many months, sometimes even years, for a civil case to be heard. Then you have to prove and document your damages, by at least a preponderance of the evidence. That's assuming that the other party is even liable to begin with. Then there's always the matter of collecting the damages you are awarded. If the defendant doesn't willingly pay what (s)he's been ordered to pay, then the plaintiff has to go back to court and ask for a wage garnishment or some other attachment of assets to ensure that payment is made. If the defendant doesn't have any assets, that becomes a problem too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil Summons [ 2 Answers ]

What is a civil summons?

Civil case on my credit report [ 6 Answers ]

Ok here is the deal, I am trying to by a house and the loan lady pulled my credit report and it is showing a unpaid judgement from back in June/06 that the other person never filed the paper work with the court. (I paid them the day of the court case). Ok now here is the interesting part. One...

Civil summons [ 11 Answers ]

What is the civil summons process?? How long does the deputy have to deliver the summons.? We hired a contractor to do a job and he didn't return to finish the job after receiving a draw. This is SC (( Columbia )) If our addresses turn up negative for delivery from the deputy what is the next...

Taking ex-landlord to court [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know Texas laws about air-conditioning? We moved into a rental house in July and found out the air conditioner didn't work. We informed the landlord in writing and verbally. Many people came out about the unit and said it needed to be replaced. In the mean time we bought a bunch of...

Civil Case [ 7 Answers ]

My best friend was recently killed by a drunk habitual offender with a long criminal record, driving 60 miles an hour on 25 mile residential street. The DA has offered a plea, he will only be facing 75 months if accepted (nothing for all the heartache he has caused). Can the family file a civil...

View more questions Search