Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catlady1971 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 11:08 PM
    Who knows this bug ?
    Hello,

I live in Belgium and since a couple of years my parents (living in a small rural village) are plagued with this red bug. I have never seen it anywhere else. Maybe it has come along with some exotic plant ?

It lives in dead leaves and mostly crawls around, but when you blow it away from your sleeve, it can fly a little bit. Youngsters are all orange, adults are deeper red with black spots. They don't come inside the house.

Does anyone know it ?

Thanks for your help !

Kristina
    Attached Images

Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 02:06 AM

Looks like Box Elder Beetles. Here's a site with some info on them and how to control them.
    Boxelder Bug Management Guidelines--UC IPM
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 16, 2010, 02:25 AM

I saw a bug almost identical to that in the us, last year. The first time I'd ever seen them. They were in a small area of a gravel parking lot, right next to some steps. They didn't seem dangerous, or particularly interested in anything. I actually think they're kind of pretty and had fun watching them crawling around.

OK, the point to all that was to let you know that it's a type of bug present in other parts of the world. Rather or not it's been carried from one area to the other, I couldn't say.

Jul 16, 2010, 02:31 AM

Hello,
    Thanks for your help, but I don't think this is the right one. "ours" have much more flashy patterns on their backs and the adults are not black like these (and have not such visible wings either - I don't know how to explain this, I'm not familiar with entomology :) )

Greetings,
    Kristina

Jul 16, 2010, 02:32 AM

HHeath, thanks ! Indeed they are not dangerous at all and I like to watch them too.
    So you think they are not native to Belgium ?
    Experts

Jul 16, 2010, 02:44 AM

I think I may have found it:

Pyrrhocoris apterus, the Fire Bug, in Guernsey

Or:

Wild Plants of Malta and Gozo - Eurydema ornatum (Ornamental Shield Bug)
    Experts

Jul 16, 2010, 02:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catlady1971 View Post
    HHeath, thanks ! Indeed they are not dangerous at all and I like to watch them too.
    So you think they are not native to Belgium ?
    I really don't know. Both of the possible matches I found are of bugs known in europe. Some bugs have cousins all over the world, though.

Jul 16, 2010, 03:23 AM

Yes Hheath, that's him indeed!
    THANKS!!

Greetz,
    K.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 05:19 AM
    Very good, Hheath. They are indeed cousins and not dangerous unless you lay down near a nest. Combing them out of your hair could hurt. (supposed to be funny?)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is this bug? [ 2 Answers ]

What is this bugs, its all over my house, lots of them.It has thoasand legs, ihave a pic, but it will not copy to this message.my email is <email removed> I just moved her and I've never seen this bug before, I don't no if it bites, thank you.

What is the name of this bug? [ 3 Answers ]

It was found in a pool in New Jersey. In case the picture doesn't load, it looks like it has a tan, transparent shell - almost like a beetle - with grasshopper-like legs. The edges of the shell are black and orange. Top Side: http://www.mcvsd.org/weblog/lrogers/newspeciesdorsal.jpg Under...

What is this bug? [ 3 Answers ]

Sorry to ask another bug question, but ever since we moved, our backyard has become a bug museum. Anyone know what kind of bug this is? It was the size of my thumb and was crawling across my patio after the rainfall.

Anyone know what bug this is? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know what this type of green metallic beetle is at my house and I want to know what its called and its habitat and all that stuff. I live in Britain so its not one of those beetles that live in America or Mexico. I find a lot of them on docking leaves. Any ideas?? ;)

What is this bug? [ 18 Answers ]

So a month ago or soI was sleeping and at the corner of my eye, I saw something crawling. This little guy popped up http://i35.tinypic.com/2ppfs05.jpg I killed the darn thing. I didn't know what it was, So last night... Same thing happen... SAME ONE COMES ...

View more questions Search