Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Jul 15, 2010, 10:42 PM
    Ghosts
    I have thought about this a lot lately.
    A lot of my friends believe in Ghosts. But I don't.
    I've wondered if Christians believe they exist.

So my questions is: Does the Bible say anything about Ghosts?
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2010, 07:48 AM

It depends on how you define Ghosts...

First I would like to say that I DO believe there are demonic spirits that can and DO "haunt" people and actually possess humans. ( the Lord Jesus cast many demons out of people) But I believe the bible is crystal clear on the subject of where our( that is HUMAN) spirit/soul goes after it departs our physical bodies... no exceptions to the rules. All Christians are absent from the body, present with the Lord... all unbelievers are sent to wait for the great white throne judgement in hades.

Having said that.. there IS a situation in the Bible where Saul the 1st king of Israel , consults a witch ( the infamous witch of Endor) to bring the prophet Samuel back. AND... Samuel did in fact SPEAK to them ( Saul and the witch) ONCE after he had died. So... I suppose we could conclude it was the "ghost" of Samuel.

Incidentally, this was forbidden by God and because Saul had done this thing ( and many other disobedient things) the word Samuel the ghost gave to Saul during that little 'seance" was NOT good news. Check this out in the Bible.. it is very interesting. ( check it out in 1 Samuel 28)

ALSO... this witch of endor... was scared SPITLESS after the incident! So to answer your question... YES the bible does speak of ONE " was NOT good news. Check this out in the Bible..it is very interesting. ( check it out in 1 Samuel 28)

ALSO...this witch of endor...was scared SPITLESS after the incident! So to answer your question...YES the bible does speak of ONE ". But I haven't EVER found another incident where God allowed someone who had passed on actually speak to the living other than Samuel and it wasn't THIS side of the cross. Does it make a difference? I think so.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2010, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    It depends on how you define Ghosts.....

First I would like to say that I DO believe there are demonic spirits that can and DO "haunt" people and actually possess humans. ( the Lord Jesus cast many demons out of people) But I believe the bible is crystal clear on the subject of where our( that is HUMAN) spirit/soul goes after it departs our physical bodies...no exceptions to the rules. All Christians are absent from the body, present with the Lord...all unbelievers are sent to wait for the great white throne judgement in hades.

Having said that..there IS a situation in the Bible where Saul the 1st king of Israel , consults a witch ( the infamous witch of Endor) to bring the prophet Samuel back. AND....Samuel did in fact SPEAK to them ( Saul and the witch) ONCE after he had died. So....i suppose we could conclude it was the "ghost" of Samuel.

Incidently, this was forbidden by God and because Saul had done this thing ( and many other disobedient things) the word Samuel the ghost gave to Saul during that little 'seance" was NOT good news. Check this out in the Bible..it is very interesting. ( check it out in 1 Samuel 28)

ALSO...this witch of endor...was scared SPITLESS after the incident! So to answer your question...YES the bible does speak of ONE "ghost". But i haven't EVER found another incident where God allowed someone who had passed on actually speak to the living other than Samuel and it wasn't THIS side of the cross. Does it make a difference? I think so.
    Excellent answer! And the witch was scared out of her witch -uh, wits :rolleyes: - because she was expecting her "familiar spirit" as the KJV calls it. The picture we get is of a demon assigned to work with her and mimic the dead people that her clients wanted to speak to. That seems to be the Bible's assessment of how mediums ("real" ones, not charlatans) operate. They don't actually talk to ghosts, they talk to demonic beings who imitate the departed.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2010, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Excellent answer!
    Dave,

And you were expecting anything but ( excellent) from me?? :p

And... exactly! She was expecting something else entirely! I'd would have LOVED to have seen her face!!

p.s. if you'd just once listen to me... I'd help you out on that whole business of Israel... but alas... thou are't stubborn. :D
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2010, 01:08 PM
    Dave,

And you were expecting anything but ( excellent) from me?? :p

And... exactly! She was expecting something else entirely! I'd would have LOVED to have seen her face!!
    Me too. She probably had to change some clothes, too...

p.s. if you'd just once listen to me... I'd help you out on that whole business of Israel... but alas... thou are't stubborn. :D
    Back at you! :D
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 06:26 PM

Did they not say in the passage where Jesus walked across the water to the boat, and the apostles were afraid and thought it may be a ghost ? Would that not mean that they believe in ghosts ?
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2010, 07:52 PM

Fr-Chuck,

Good question! BUT if I saw someone walking on water... late in the evening.. with nothing but the MOON to give some light... I'd FREAK out too, perhaps even think it was a "ghost" or demonic spirit. Doesn't actually mean they "believed" in someone who had passed becoming a ghosts.. or thought that even possible.
    ... what in the world were they suppose to think? I bet they had ghost stories even back in that day!
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Jul 16, 2010, 10:36 PM
    It depends on how you define Ghosts...
    I think I would define it as a dead person wandering around the world. :| But that brings me to this:

But I believe the bible is crystal clear on the subject of where our( that is HUMAN) spirit/soul goes after it departs our physical bodies... no exceptions to the rules. All Christians are absent from the body, present with the Lord... all unbelievers are sent to wait for the great white throne judgement in hades.
    I've been wondering about that too! Thank you so much for that. =)

Having said that.. there IS a situation in the Bible where Saul the 1st king of Israel , consults a witch ( the infamous witch of Endor) to bring the prophet Samuel back. AND... Samuel did in fact SPEAK to them ( Saul and the witch) ONCE after he had died. So... i suppose we could conclude it was the "ghost" of Samuel.

Incidentally, this was forbidden by God and because Saul had done this thing ( and many other disobedient things) the word Samuel the ghost gave to Saul during that little 'seance" was NOT good news. Check this out in the Bible.. it is very interesting. ( check it out in 1 Samuel 28)

ALSO... this witch of endor... was scared SPITLESS after the incident! So to answer your question... YES the bible does speak of ONE " was NOT good news. Check this out in the Bible..it is very interesting. ( check it out in 1 Samuel 28)

ALSO...this witch of endor...was scared SPITLESS after the incident! So to answer your question...YES the bible does speak of ONE ". But i haven't EVER found another incident where God allowed someone who had passed on actually speak to the living other than Samuel and it wasn't THIS side of the cross. Does it make a difference? I think so.
    Interesting. I'll have to read that. Thank you Classy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are there ghosts in my house? How can we know that there are ghosts [ 8 Answers ]

Are there ghosts in my house? How can we know that there are ghosts. And how can we communicate with them?

Is it possible for good ghosts to protect me from the bad ghosts? I'm scared. [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, It's been happening for years now.. but more now than ever. I forgot to add my last one, that 2 people have answered, this "whatever it is" has been with me in 3 different homes... 3 whole different cities. I've heard them, felt them, and seen them. Doing good and bad to me. Trapping me...

Seeing Ghosts [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, You may think I'm crazy because even I think I'm crazy but I think I see ghosts.When my friend stayed over in my house something weird happened I saw a small boy that my friend couldn't see and he told me that there was someone else here.Then me and my friend ran downstairs where I saw the boy...

Where Do Ghosts Come From? [ 12 Answers ]

We live in this world. But we each also live in a world of our own making. That world is created from our thoughts and beliefs. If a person believes in ghosts then there is a good chance that they will, sooner or later, see a ghost. Not being able to see a ghost does not mean that they don’t...

Help with ghosts [ 4 Answers ]

simebody please help me I need advice & fast!! My frined & I have this spirit friend who's shared between us like its at her place then my... any way it's a guy & he our age (14) & he stealing my stuff! Really my cellotape & glue stick and umbrella and ruler and torch even some of my socks, Even...

View more questions Search