Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tom hutchinson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Roof replacement-tear off vs cover over
    My original roof on my home is approx 19 years old.It probably needs to be replaced.One roofer's estimate recommends a tear off and replacement of the asphalt shingles (more expensive)the second one says that is not necessary just cover old roof with new shingles.
    What is best other than price difference.Both insist there way is best .
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2006, 07:55 AM
    Of course we can't see the condition of the old shingles.

And how many layers of old shingles are on the roof. Most cities ( states) have building codes when you go get your building permit to do this, and yes you will most likely need a building permit to re-roof your home.

Most codes allow two or three layers of singles. So if you only have one and you don't have a lot of bubbling of the old shingles normally there is no problem and I put two layers on all the time.

Because of many issues I don't personally believe in putting three layers on and normally tear off if there are already two layers on.

You can not see any wood damage to the actual roof if you don't tear off. But if you have a attic area the actual roof should be inspected to be sure there is no rot or damage to the roof itself that could or should be fixed when you are getting ready to re-roof.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2006, 09:33 AM
    Code permits a second layer of roofing. May as well go with the low bid. If you still own the house in 20 years, you can pay the tear off price then.

Have you considered replacing it yourself? It is not rocket science. It is a lot of work, but you can shop for roof top delivery of the shingles. Others here and I can help you make a nice job of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance/roof replacement [ 6 Answers ]

There was a tornado in my neighborhood 6 months ago. A roofer looked at my roof and said there is damage. He also said that my shingles are discontinued and are not being made anymore so the insurance co. Should replace the whole roof. The insurance co. said they can match any shingle as long as it...

Maltese tear stains [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the red tear stains on a maltese? I have tried a product called Crystal Eye by Four Paws but have not had any success. Any suggestions or home remedies?

Use of Tear Gas [ 5 Answers ]

The U.S. continues to fight wars with one hand tied back and blindfolded while our enemies use whatever means at their disposal. Question: If we are so concerned about damaging the Najaf Mosque, why don't we use Tear Gas? Please don't tell me that a non-lethal chemical irritant, still used by...

Clutch wear and tear... [ 3 Answers ]

When I am driving on smooth straight road at say 100 km/hr and I realize I want to stop at say 1 km ahead (assume that there is no other vehicle ahead or behind). I can continue at same speed or little less speed, and later apply break when I want to stop. But that means I waste some fuel. To...

Skin cover up! [ 1 Answers ]

Im a guy and I need a way to cover up old blemish problems! Is there any way for a guy to do that? Any special things people use out there?!

View more questions Search