Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cgcss1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 06:23 PM
    Rough estimate to install new shower drain and p-trap
    Me and the wife just bought a house and want to install a shower in the half bath. It is on a crawl space and also has the washer cold and hot lines a foot away from where we want to put the shower. Curious how hard a job this would be to do myself or what a plumber might charge. Also wondering where would you tie the shower drain into, the washer drain or sink or toilet drain?

Thanks for any input someone may be able to offer
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 10:05 PM

You can tie 2" shower drain into 3"/4" toilet line pass the toilet vent. You could also tie it into 2" washer line. You will need vent. Run new vent 48" up the wall and connect with existing sink/washer/ or toilet vent.

Water supplies are easy since you have h/c water close by.

Both water and drain are easy to install on raised foundation, especially when you work with ABS or PVC .

As far as pricing goes : it is hard to estimate. Prices vary by location. But figure around $1,000.00 to rough it in.

Hope that helps... Good luck.. Milo
    cgcss1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2010, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the info Milo, but after some research, I am curious as to why I cannot just wet vent it through the washer drain?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 08:27 AM

Cgcss1...

Code prohibits using a washing machine vent as a wet vent for any fixture. Simply put, a washing machine has such a volume of water draining at such a velocity that it will most likely siphon the unvented trap of the shower causing a health hazard, i.e. sewer gasses into the home.

If your sink drain is a 2" drain/vent then you could connect into the sink drain and use the sink vent to wet vent the new shower. Otherwise, as Milo satted, you can connect into the washer or toilet drain, but you'll need a separate vent to bring it all up to code.

Back to you...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is p trap part of rough in for shower? [ 28 Answers ]

I read in this forum that you could pour a gallon of water down a shower drain and there should be water standing in the bottom if there is a p trap in there. In my case I can't see any water. This house is brand new. The shower is tiled. When you use the shower there is a bad smell coming from...

Build Shower Platform & Install Above Ground P-Trap in Basement Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site. I tried to find the answer in previous posts and did find some great info, but I still have some questions :) This is what I want to do: Install a corner shower with dimensions 36" in x 36" in the basement, build a platform, & add an above ground p-trap. ...

Basment Shower Install w/o drain rough-in [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: I have a basement with a toilet and sink. There is no stub for shower drain. I will be remodeling and wonder if I can add a shower and connect the shower waste drain to the sink waste line. I know there needs to be a trap under the shower drain, but would it work to frame and raise the...

Can I install an inline trap between shower and septic? [ 1 Answers ]

Before you jump all over me about code violations, let me preface this by explaining that this is a house in the Caribbean and what plumbing there is would never pass code in the US or elsewhere (and don't ask me about the electric!). The shower is installed without a P-trap below the drain. It...

View more questions Search