Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4answers Posts: 200, Reputation: 35

Jul 15, 2010, 04:57 AM
    Does Money Make You More Attractive To Women
    Please keep all questions regarding the same issue in the same thread.

Does having lots of money make a man more attractive to women.

Not talking about the obvious gold diggers!!

Women in general.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 05:05 AM
    It would appear so, sadly. However I use that criteria to not socialize with women who value money above other qualities.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 4answers View Post
    Does having lots of money make a man more attractive to women..
    Hello 4:

Sure.

excon
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2010, 05:34 AM

Aside from the obvious gold diggers, I think the ability to take care of oneself, as well as a future family, instills a sense of security to women. If you have a high paying job, it shows that you're ambitious, able, motivated to go get that high paying job and keep it.

I think it shows the same to men as well... I know a lot of guys who don't really care how much money the woman makes, but to me, I prefer a woman that has a relatively good job... she doesn't need to make $200k a year, but if she has a good job, it shows that she's intelligent, ambitious, and motivated.

Jul 15, 2010, 05:45 AM

Women what's your honest take on this.

(Not gold diggers, we know your take on this). I mean in terms of attraction and chosing a partner.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 06:06 AM
    (Not gold diggers, we know your take on this). I mean in terms of attraction and chosing a partner.
    Hello again, 4:

You're missing the point.. MONEY is just another attribute that makes a person attractive, or not, as a future mate. From an evolutionary standpoint, women seek out men who can provide for them, and can protect them. Having money, stature, power and influence are very attractive attributes for the reasons I cited.

MOST women seek out those attributes - NOT just gold diggers.

excon
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2010, 07:02 AM
    I'm going to go against the grain and say it's a lot more complicated than we're generally led to believe. I don't think women automatically find men with a lot of money more attractive at all.

Being financially stable and smart with money is important and it's attractive, but a man's ability to form a loving and mutually enjoyable and secure relationship is far more important to most women. In fact, if a man flaunts his wealth too much or uses it to manipulate a woman, or if he is stingy out of fear and resentment, a woman can quickly pick that up and become very wary of a man. Not only can it cause a woman to lose respect in him, but it can also make her feel insecure and unsatisfied, causing her to withdraw from the relationship.

If there was a choice between a man who has a lot of wealth but who can't give love and a man who had only a modest amount to live on but can make a woman feel loved and secure, most women would choose the latter.

I think this is intriguing and applies as much to men as it does to women:

'what motivates us is surprising'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 07:04 AM
    There are always exceptions, but...

Look at it this way:

Guy 1: Nice, friendly, smart, athletic, rich

Guy 2: Nice, friendly, smart, athletic, poor

Who would you choose if I replaced the word "guy" with "girl"?

I see being rich as an additional quality. The more good qualities you have, the better, but if you only have rich, but none of the other good factors, that won't go very far either.

It's not so much that they want fancy jewlerry and fancy etc. Money proves that the guy will be able to take care of the girl financially, as in paying for the essentials: food, shelter, transportation, clothes, etc.

Do you really think that they want a guy who can't afford to pay their rent?
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 07:11 AM
    The point I was making in my first response was I avoid the women who view wealth as the first attribute they look for. I'm not poor but I don't want to be with someone whose main attraction is my money.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 07:25 AM
    Does having lots of money make a man more attractive to women..
    Hello again, ladies:

I don't disagree with your assessments, given the facts you present... However, I don't read those facts into the question, as presented. If you read it, as I did, there can only be one answer...

The question asks us to pick between two EQUALLY wonderful fellows, but one has a lot more money. If they're NOT equal in every other way, you guys are right on. But, if they WERE equal, I could hazard a pretty good guess as to which one you'd choose.

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 07:28 AM
    Plus look at all the truly ugly men with money who have bombshells by their side.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2010, 04:50 AM

Most of us have to settle for less anyway:)

Jul 16, 2010, 06:40 AM
    Nice House & Car makes you more attractive.
    Similar to last post but different:

If being financially stable and smart with money is important and it's an attractive trait for both a man and a women to have.

Is this enough to turn an average looking guy to a good looking guy ?

Since Physically Atrractive people generally go for equally physically attractive people.

Would this make the difference in the dating game ? Ie, would a Good Looking girl go for an average looking guy over a good looking guy because of this.

[excluding the obvious gold diggers]
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 16, 2010, 07:05 AM
    I merged the threads because this is the same debate already going.

Do you have a specific reason for asking these questions (in other words are you needing ADVICE about a specific encounter) or are you just interested in a DISCUSSION of the topic?
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Jul 17, 2010, 05:57 AM

I married a wealthy man however I am totally not interested in how much he's worth, I have also always had my own money not a vast amount but enough, as such I have never once asked my partner for anything, it's there if want it, I don't.

I married him for himself rich or poor, and I really am totally non materialistic and like it that way, yes it nice to have some of lifes luxuries, and for my children to have some advantages in schooling etc, but if it came to the choice of my partner and family or wealth I would choose my family and hubby over any amount of wealth anyday.

Money doesn't buy peace of mind or real happiness and love, it's a means to an end. But never let it take over your sense of self worth, that isn't measured in currency.

A lot of rich women actually prefer non wealthy men, or a bit of rough. I agree those who are hoping to get rich quick are the type who give women who marry wealthy men a bad name. Not everyone's a gold digger.

Plus a woman can be a gold digger but rich men aren't blind to them not by a long shot.. so the ones who do manage to hook a rich man know he was hooked because he allowed it..
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Jul 17, 2010, 06:15 AM

People who have more by way of wealth will look better regardless because they will have quality clothing, the best designs, the finest, of almost anything is there for them to wear, along with jewellery, they will also be more appealing to some because they will also be cultured sophisticated, have class and breeding, that's how they will, can and do look more attractive, what they wear and how they carry it.

Unfortunately those who have little or limited finances to spend on their attire cannot afford the same quality clothing and accessories, but many can and do manage to work their own way out of the lower ranks into the higher, however no amount of money or wealth is able to buy class, that's bred into them, and the richest man on earth if he has no class won't stand out in the crowd.
    Oddboots Posts: 57, Reputation: 8

Jul 18, 2010, 12:14 AM
    Yes.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 12:28 AM
    Hi, 4answers!

I think that it depends a lot on the situation and what each person has to bring into a relationship.

Water seeks it's own level. That's a basic law of physics. It's the same way with people, generally. Most of the time, people will be more likely to seek out others who are like themselves.

For me, money isn't a priority. A necessity, yes, but not a priority. Women know that about me. Hence, my having money or not isn't one of the factors that might make them attracted to me.

By the way, I have no problems finding and maintaining relationships of all sorts with women.

Thanks!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 18, 2010, 08:47 AM

I would rather have a soul mate than a sugar mama, but what's wrong with a rich soul mate?
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2010, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post

I think that it depends a lot on the situation and what each person has to bring into a relationship.
    Yes, it's really difficult to generalise about this question. I guess it's partly what your intention is when you set out looking for someone. I imagine there are some women who deliberately set out to catch a wealthy man - although I'd argue they're in the minority, just as there are fewer wealthy men around. If you find love and he happens to be rich, that would have to be a bonus.

I fell for someone who is non-materialistic. Mostly due to circumstances, he doesn't own his own home, but even so, he just isn't interested in accumulating wealth or possessions and prefers to find the few things he needs second-hand (he has a PhD, is a teacher and well presented). If he could get the money together, he would rather take a year off to travel, and while he lives in a tiny non-descript two bedroom unit, he creates a lot of space around himself by getting out into the outdoors. I don't know that I chose him over wealthier men, since for me there was no choice. You fall in love with whoever you fall in love with. Still, there have been men around who are much better off financially than him and equally good looking who were interested in a relationship - yet it didn't make any difference to me and I couldn't just 'fall in love' with anyone else. I felt enriched by him in ways other men couldn't offer.

As it is, we didn't work out but we'll keep a friendship, since paradoxically, one of the problems in our relationship is the fact that he feels less adequate or out of step compared with other men and with what I have materially (which is not really that much), that put a strain on our relationship from the beginning. That wasn't the only reason, but it was fairly significant factor, I suppose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are tall women attractive? [ 17 Answers ]

The media puts tall women on a pedestal. Models are tall, and that is what most women strive to be. I am 5'8'' (which is tall) and at my High School I feel like the shorter women are more attractive to the men. I think tall women come off as intimidating. So is it really true? Is a model really...

What kind of butt do women find attractive on men? [ 9 Answers ]

What kind of butt do woman find attractive on men? Is it small butts, medium butts, big butts, butts that look like they were lifted in the air by surgery what kind do women think is most attractive?

Tall women.attractive? [ 10 Answers ]

The media puts tall women on a pedestal. Models are tall, and that is what most women strive to be. I am 5'8'' (which is tall) and at my High School I feel like the shorter women are more attractive to the men. I think tall women come off as intimidating. So is it really true? Is a model really...

View more questions Search