Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    04091985 Posts: 86, Reputation: 2

Dec 15, 2006, 10:18 PM
    Sharing problem in network
    One of my system is not able to share . But when I click MY NETWORK PLACES it displays the computer name of that system . When I click it shows me a error message that NETWORK PATH IS NOT FOUND . I went through all trouble corrections frm the scratch. But no use . I even changed my workgroup name. Tell me if there is any other solution. Give me some few good solutions which all you thin
    tpeters Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Dec 20, 2006, 12:01 PM
    Let's say you're sitting at a machine we're calling WKSTN, and there's stuff on another machine, say, SVR, that wany access to.

The obvious question is this, are there shares on SVR? Have you done the right-click on a folder, and selected "Sharing" and made a folder shared?

BTW, I always recommend using names for shares that contain NO SPACES and NO SPECIAL CHARACTERS other than underscore and dash. Numbers and letters only-- most compatible and easiest to type with having to quote them.

Check the security tab. Give some group all the permissions except "Special permissions" I think the group can be EVERYONE, which makes it wide open, or "USERS" which is only people legitimately logged in.

I think the NETWORK PATH IS NOT FOUND might be coming from the fact that you changed domain or workgroup names. Make sure all the machines are in the same workgroup, choosing a name that has no spaces or special characters (preferably less than 8 characters long). Once that's done, reboot the workstations and WAIT. It can take a long time for NetBIOS names to propagate through your network-- 10 to 45 minutes sometimes.

What's the IP address of SVR, the machine with the shares? You can try stuff (at WKSTN) like this, at a command prompt:

NET VIEW \\SVR
    If this doesn't work, use the ip address:
    NET VIEW \\192.168.1.31
    Or what ever the ip address is

If it works by ip address but not by name, you may have to enable netbios-over-IP and tell the WKSTN machine that SVR is its WINS server.

-T

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet sharing on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

File sharing in ad hoc wireless network [ 5 Answers ]

My two systems are connected through wireless network.both show as STATUS CONNECTED.now my connection is how to share files between them?

Sharing files over wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am new to this forum but I love these things... I have 2 computers--one connected through a modem to comcast cable and then my laptop connected through a linksys wireless set up to this computer. The tower has windows xp with service pack 2 installed and the laptop with windows xp pro and...

Sharing internet connection on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

File Sharing on a Wireless Network [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings to All!:) I am trying to share files amongst 3 computers (one is a laptop). The main computer is connected to the internet directly to a cable modem. The other 2 (laptop & my son's computer) connect to the internet via a wireless connection. All this was setup by someone we paid to...

View more questions Search