Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wenroo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2010, 03:09 PM
    1099's and unemployment
    I recently was laid off (2010) and to file for unemployment they wanted all my info for 2009. I was working contract work for part of 2009 (mostly unemployed for the rest of the yr). I sent in a copy of my 1099 (since they didn't have any of it on record and with out it I didn't make the minimum to get unemployment). The employer who I work contract for just called basically pissed saying he might have to pay a fee now and back taxes. Is this correct? I had no idea and only thought unemployment needed the 1099 as proof of work... If this is true is there anything I can do to change this since he is also a friend?. I live in Colorado in case its different by state.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 04:36 AM

Hello w:

If you were a contract worker, and were paid that way, then your friend/employer wouldn't have to change a thing. But, if he was paying contract rates to avoid paying taxes and unemployment insurance, then he's going to have to change. In either case, you can't change anything - ESPECIALLY if you want to get your unemployment checks.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2010, 06:01 AM

1099 employees and employers do not pay into Unemployment; therefore, there are no Unemployment benefits when they are laid off (according to my research).

Excon is right - if you and/or your employer were avoiding taxes by incorrectly calling you a "1099" employee there are penalties and fees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When do 1099's have to be mailed out by [ 2 Answers ]

By what dated do you have to have 1099's mailed by to the individuals?

Filing 1099's [ 1 Answers ]

My mother is 86 years old and on Social Security. She has no other source of income. She has had an individual come to her home and help her four hours a day, five days a week. She has paid this person strictly from her SS benefits. Does she have to file a 1099 for this person?

Unemployment and 1099's [ 5 Answers ]

What if you have worked all year and then started recieving Unemployment in Oct of 2008. Then in the middle of November you opened up a LLC and started working from home. Meanwhile you are still collected unemployment for the full rate and will be getting a 1099 at the end of the year for work you...

1099's in PA [ 2 Answers ]

What is the cut-off date in which a company must give 1099's? And what happens if they are not provided? What can I do to secure them in order to file?

1099's and corporations [ 1 Answers ]

It is my understanding that if my business is a corporation I can ignore any 1099's sent to me? Is this correct

View more questions Search