Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irob278 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2010, 02:20 PM
    w2 filing status
    Which status takes out more money from your salary, filing single(0), or filing married(0).; where 0 is # of dependents. Also can I change my filing status during the year?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 14, 2010, 02:29 PM

Hello irob278. Generally speaking - filing as married results in lower taxes than filing as single. However - you really don't have a choice how to file. If you are married, you MUST file as married. If you are single, you MUST file as single (or head of household). There are some exceptions to this having to do if you are separated but still legally married, but in general you have little leeway on what status to use for tax purposes.

Yes, you can file a new W4 form with your employer if your marital status changes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing Status [ 2 Answers ]

If you marry July 9, 2007 can you file as single for 2007 taxes? If no, any repercussions?

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

H1B / H4 , filing status , dual status [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Indian Citizen who entered US along with my spouse for the first time on 30 March 2007 on H1-B Visa. Since then, I have not changed my visa status to any other visa and I have not travelled outside US. My spouse is on H4 visa. I have the following questions: 1. Am I dual status...

What is my filing status? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, What would be my filing status for 2006 if I got married in Jan 2007? It seems that one can claim investments that were made from Jan till April 07 when filing 06 taxes, does the same hold true for marriage also? Can I file as married? Please let me know. Thanks.

Filing status [ 3 Answers ]

I was on F1 till Aug 2005 and on OPT till Oct and on H1 from oct 2005 And I went to india from Dec 29th till JAn 22nd please consider the Following 1) I paid tuition for 2004($2000) and 2005($450) in FL 2) Social security and medicare taxes were with held from oct 2005 in IL 3) I was...

View more questions Search