Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skipglide Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2010, 11:10 AM
    Craftsman 6.5 HP 21" lawnmower runs slow after coming in contact with tree branch?
    My Craftsman 6.5 HP 21" 917.376523 lawnmower runs slow after coming in contact with a evergreen tree branch which struck the lawnmower on the exhaust side. I've had this happen on several occasions resulting in the lawnmower running slow and rough. On this occasion it continues to run slow and rough after at least 10 minuntes. There doesn't appear to be anything on that side of the lawnmower except for the enclosed exhaust. What's happening? Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2010, 11:22 AM

Well, I have had similar issues. The tree hits the throttle cable, but my throttle is on the handle.

You exploded view is here:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...0502111&blt=06

Suspect a part of the branch got caught in the governor. There should be a linkage on top of the carb that should be easy to move.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 14, 2010, 11:35 AM
    Hi,
    You have bent the part of the control that tensions the governor spring. With the engine running, and someone else aat the controls, take a pair of needle nose and bent the tab out away from the carb. You sound able able to hear the spped increase. Always take care around a running engine when you are not at the controls.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 18, 2010, 10:36 AM
    Comment on crigby's post
    Yep! That was it! Thanks for your help!

Jul 18, 2010, 10:38 AM
    Comment on KISS's post
    Thanks for your help! "crigby" below, explained how to remedy. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman 26 HP riding lawnmower [ 5 Answers ]

It turns on and rides fine but once I pull the blade engagement switch nothing happens. I guess what I am asking is why the blades won't engage?:confused:

What type of tree branch can I use for my water dragons [ 0 Answers ]

I want to get more branches for my water dragon to climb on and find pet shops to be very expensive for large pieces. Wondered if could get some from my local park and treat them if so what trees and how to treat to make safe

Craftsman lawnmower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a craftsman lawn mower about 9 years old with 917.270514 model no. after starting it and when I attempt to engage the mower deck lever to begin mowing it shuts off. Why is it doing this and can I fix it?

Craftsman self-propelled lawnmower [ 8 Answers ]

I have a crafsman self-propelled lawnmower. I'm having trouble with the drive mechanism, it is on when I start it without me engaging it. I looked at the drive mechanism and all looks OK, I also checked the drive cable and it is connected and working. What should I be looking for.

AC fan runs slow, but switch to heat fan runs normal [ 3 Answers ]

The other morning I came into the house and noticed the ac was not working. I turned off the breaker to the unit for a few minutes. Then turned it back on. Went to the thermostat pushed it over to auto and the fan came on but ran very slow. I them turned it off. Then turn on the heat, the fan...

View more questions Search