Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itrn007 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2006, 05:43 PM
    Compression vs. solder
    Hi all. I have seen bits and pieces to the answer to my question in other posts, but not sure I have the complete answer, so I will ask it directly...

Transitioning from copper to (C)PVC, are compression junctions adequate and/or recommended, or is it advisable to use soldered connections?

Just to clarify (and probably state the obvious) I am talking about the copper end of the junction. I know that the "plastic" end gets glued.

Thanks all in advance,
    G-
    PaulC Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Dependson the application, if it's DWV then just glue a male adapter on to the pvc side and use a female adaptor in copper and tighten them up.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2006, 06:53 PM
    If you are talking about adding a threaded adapter to copper, I would solder I it. I installed a water heat and water softener last summer needing to have to run some new pipe for both. I mostly used CPVC compression unions. They are cheap and easy to work with. They are not 100 % safe from the pipe pulling out. I back them up by wiring the 2 pipes together. I also used a Shark's Tooth tee in one critical spot. $9 for a 3/4'' tee, but the most quick and easiest reliable connection.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 16, 2006, 07:57 AM
    While solder is the most reliable , compression fittings are the easiest to install for a DYSer. Your choice,( although I recommend solder if you have the tools and experience.) Solder a male threaded adapter on the copper pipe and prime and glue a female threaded adapter on the plastic pipe.
    Good luck, Tom
    PaulC Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by itrn007
    Hi all. I have seen bits and pieces to the answer to my question in other posts, but not sure I have the complete answer, so I will ask it directly...

Transitioning from copper to (C)PVC, are compression junctions adequate and/or recommended, or is it advisable to use soldered connections?

Just to clarify (and probably state the obvious) I am talking about the copper end of the junction. I know that the "plastic" end gets glued.

Thanks all in advance,
    G-
    Again what is the application, I'm a plumber for 25 years.

Do you know what male and female adaptors are? If it's DWV ( Drain, waste and vent) than follow the directions I gave you the last time, or explain what it is your doing.

Solder a small piece of pipe on the adaptor before threading it together.

Paul
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 16, 2006, 03:25 PM
    Welcome to the plumbing page Paul, Paul gave you excellent advice when he advised, "solder a small piece of pipe on the adaptor before threading it together." If you attempt to put heat on a copper adapter after it's threaded in to a PVC fitting the heat will melt the PVC fitting threads. As far as DWV or pressure the drill's the same. You solder a male threaded adapter on the copper pipe and prime and glue a female threaded adapter on the plastic pipe. Good luck, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2006, 08:29 PM
    Thinking about this some more. Again you buy 2 threaded adapters, you are going to have much of the price of a Shark Tooth adapter. Only problem is that a 3/4'' PVC pipe is bigger than a 3/4'' copper and won't fit. Solution? A PVC/CPVC adapter and a short length of CPVC. I used a bunch of them on my projects last summer. Found them at Lowe's.

As I said, the Shark Tooth couplers are the easiest way to join 2 pieces of pipe, just push the plain ends of each pipe into it. It can also be easily removed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lead solder [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any alternatives to resolder a lead solder joint besides lead?

Removing a tailpiece from lead solder [ 1 Answers ]

How to remove the tailpiece on the p trap that is soldered in place with lead at the face of the wall

DVD Compression [ 5 Answers ]

Unsure if this is the correct place for this question, but better here than nowhere. I have a Panasonic NV-GS11EB Digital Video Camera. This used 1 hour (standard use) mini cassettes. I have one such cassette with around 45 minutes of film. When I download this it creates a file anywhere...

Compression Vs Sweating [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all! I need to replace a 1/2 dozen frozen valves in my basement that control water feeds up to 1st and 2nd floor bathrooms and kitchens. The current valves are sweat on. I am not that confident in sweating. Most of the lines are 1/2" one is 3/4". Can I remove these and replace with...

View more questions Search