Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2010, 05:51 PM
    Wiring for old outlet has 2 brass wires and nothing else. Need to wire new receptacle
    Need to replace a receptacle... was two prong. It blew up. The wiring behind it has only two brass wires wrapped in black insulation. There are no other wires and no way to tell the two apart.

How would I wire a 3 prong receptacle to this? I plan on marking and covering the ground and using it with non grounded cords.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 13, 2010, 06:14 PM

You need a tester, two actually.
    One regular tester to check for the proper voltage and the other a non-contact tester. This you just place near the wire to check for the presence of voltage. This will tell you which is the hot and which is the neutral.

A better solution to your problem would be to either use a new two-prong receptacle (YES, they are available), or better yet would be to install a GFI. The GFI WILL function properly even with no grounding mean present and will be safer than a non-grounding receptacle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a three wire light to existing four wires [ 22 Answers ]

Just bought a foreclosed home where a lot of the lights were taken by the previous owner. I am trying to put a light over my kitchen table. I bought a light w/ the usual two wires plus ground, but the existing wiring from the previous/removed light has a black, white, ground, red and another...

Changing old receptacle, no ground wire, wires doubled up [ 1 Answers ]

I am changing a 120v receptacle in an old house, have found that there is no ground wire. The receptacle has two black and two white wires, each of which is on the same screw of the old receptacle, though the book I'm using seems to say they should be on different screws. Can I safely instal a new,...

Wiring a receptacle to a three wire and two switches [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have two switches, three wire coming into the box is red black and white. Switch 1 is connected to the red and is connected to the other switch 2 with a small white wire. Switch 2 is connected to the white wire coming in and the black wire. I want to install a receptacle that runs all...

Wiring 4 wire outlet w/only 3 wires [ 11 Answers ]

My wall outlet is a 3 prong and I want to convert it to a 4 prong but I only have three wires? Should I make a jumper in the outlet from the common to the 4th grounding outlet?

Mixing wiring and outlet wire gauge . [ 5 Answers ]

If I have a 15 amp circuit, and 14 gauge wire, why can't I install a 20-amp outlet? If a 20-amp device is plugged into the outlet, won't the circuit trip, preventing overload? Also, 20-amp outlets and 15-amp outlets appear to have the same connection for devices (two prongs and a ground hole),...

View more questions Search