Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    REMMURER Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Dec 15, 2006, 02:06 PM
    Car dealer
    I was thinking of quiting my job as a produce manager and try my hand at selling cars at a local dealership. They say they will train me and give me 4000 dollars up front after I finish the training program. How much do you usually make selling a car and what if I go a week without selling anything. Any thoughts??
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2006, 03:05 PM
    How muhc money do you make now as a Produce Manager? My youngest brother had a stint as a car salesman and there were some pretty lean times after the initial training period, since after that it was all commission. But he liked the job! A good friend of my oldest son went to work at one of the local Ford dealerships and it took him a month before selling his first car. Thankfully he was still living with his Mom and Dad.

Do you have some kind of safety net for yourself - a nest egg to fall back on? Sometimes taking the risk is worth it, otherwise you never know how you would do at a particular job. Can you ease into selling while still employed in your current job? Also, how much time are you willing to give yourself selling cars before deciding that is the right career for you?

Good luck with this possible career. Selling cars - selling anything - is not easy.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 15, 2006, 03:43 PM
    Many dealerships are on a commission basis only. This means if you don't sell a car, you don't eat.

From your other posts I wonder if this would really be the right choice for you right now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2006, 04:14 PM
    Yes, as a person who has done sales for several years, it can be tough,

So what you need to do is figure you budget, see how much money you have in the bank and if you can afford to go a for a while with no income.

And are you good at budgets, if you get 2000 this week, but go three weeks with no pay will you be good at saving money back for the lean times. ( I am bad at it personally)

And I have no idea what you are currently making, but if this is a larger chain store normally the paid is fairly good.

But money is not where it all is at. By training I was a Industrial Engineer, and I walked away from it to follow another path many years ago. I droped in pay from almost 100,000 a year to make about 30,000 a year but was never happier in my life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

New car vs. Used car interst [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, Is there a set limit of interest that can be charged to a new car loan for a first time buyer with a not so good credit rating living in New Jersey. If in the event there is do you know of a link that will back it up so I can research it,

View more questions Search