Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamalion Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2010, 12:04 PM
    Is there help seeking employment with a felony on your record
    I am seeking employment and have a felony every where I go I get turned away is there anything I can do... I am about to loose everything I have with no job no money I desperatly need HELP
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2010, 10:07 AM
    I would recomment that you contact your local unemployment office and request an appointment with an employment counselor. They will probably have some resources for you. There are also social service agencies that do employee people with records to try to get them back into the working world, and who work with employers who are willing to provide a second chance. And there are half-way houses for people trying to transition back to a self-supporting life. Not knowing where you are it's hard to tell you exactly where to go but if you can share that I might be able to come up with some resources for you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2010, 06:06 AM

Hello m:

Apply at places where you can speak with the owner on your first visit. More than likely, that'll be small mom and pop shops. Convince the guy that he'll go bankrupt if he DOESN'T hire you. Don't ask him to give you a "break". Companies are NOT social service agencies.

excon
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2010, 01:20 PM
    Yeah, companies aren't social service agencies but there are social service agencies who's mission it is to provide initial employment, or find employment opportunities for men and women who have been incarcerated. I've heard of organizations that are in the trades, restaurant work, manufacturing, car repair and other industries - they provide job skills and pay at least minimum wage and then when you learn the job skills, they help to place you for a job in the community. There are also employers who like to give people with a record a chance but it's hard to know who they are, so going to unemployment to ask what resources they have, and working with organizations that provide social assistance to people who are starting over after spending time in prison can be a good step for you to take. Good luck to you.

Jul 15, 2010, 06:10 AM
    Comment on dontknownuthin's post
    Exspect from people.. My felony is 14 years ago I have changed... I need to work to survive.. I live I Ohio the cleveland area if that helps

Jul 15, 2010, 06:11 AM
    Thanks for your advice

Jul 15, 2010, 06:12 AM
    Thank you I am going to need all the luck I can get

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employment with police record [ 3 Answers ]

Arrested for shoplifting, released without being charge. How will this affect me in seeking employment in future?

For Wondergirl, or Anyone. Background Checks for Minors Seeking Employment [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, All! A young man on the following thread is having a predicament where he interviewed for a job and didn't tell them or put on the application where he had a job several years ago where he was fired. ...

Police record in seeking employment [ 5 Answers ]

I was investigated for shoplifting but released with a warning without charge. Dose it mean my charge is dismissed? Do I need to declare this when seeking employment in future.

Disorderly behaviour -implications on seeking employment [ 10 Answers ]

I pleaded guilty of 2C:20-11b(2) shoplifting, which was downgraded to disorderly behaviour(Twp.Ord.129-13) early 2006 and just paid a fine (in state of NJ). I am offered a new job now and my employer does compliant background screening as a contingency for employment. What are the chances that I...

Felony and employment [ 3 Answers ]

If you have a felony that has been dissmissed will it stop you from getting a job. If you were never conicted is is erased from your criminal background.

View more questions Search