Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chooks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2006, 10:06 AM
    Advice for a Promissory Note
    About 3 years ago. I signed a promissory note from a friend who owned his own business to help me start up a business that he thought would be good for me. Our relationship dissolved almost three months after the promissory note was drafted. I have not heard from them until I received a letter from them in the mail, demanding full payment by March of 2007 or it will be referred to an attorney. I am a little unsure of how I should handle this... my questions are:

1) In the state of Florida, is it required that both parties sign the promissory note?
    2) I have no assets nor am I employed at this moment. I am currently in school.
    3) What can he do if it does go to an attorney?
    4) Can I propose other payment arrangements being that I cannot make full restitution to him and can I combine this debt on a Consolidation program?
    5) I am not trying to dodge the debt first if it is even legal and if it is what can I do to avoid court.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2006, 10:10 AM
    Are you the co-signor or primary?
    chooks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2006, 11:15 AM
    The Primary... there is no co-signer.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2006, 11:21 AM
    Since you are the only one on the promissory note, try to make arrangements to pay it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2006, 11:30 AM
    You may make a offer to make payments, ( which should be good enough, but you don't know) If you signed the loan, it would be a legal loan.
    Even if you did not sign, if you made a verbal agreement and took the money it still have a legal standing, just harder to prove.

If he takes you to court, he will get a judgement, he can seize or attach all of your bank accounts, and garnish your pay if you get any.
    This may not sound like much now, but in a few years after you finish school, a judgement showing up can effect your employment if some companies what a clear credit history to hire you. And it will allow him years from now, to still garnish your pay when you do go to work.

So working out a payment plan should be the idea thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too much to expect a thank you note? [ 11 Answers ]

Twice in one year I have mailed a money order for $50.00 together with a wedding card and a personal note. One wedding was a year ago; the other was back in May. At the first wedding, the groom came up to me and said thanks for the money; the second wedding I didn't attend. Hmmm, maybe in...

Looking for note holders [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everybody, I am a new member, looking for Note holders of Real Estate,Mobil homes,Trust Deeds etc. I need advice on the best way to find them. Thanks

Promissory Note [ 3 Answers ]

I lent money to a so-called "friend" of mine where I had him sign a Promissory note. The promissory note explained the terms for re-payment. It also clearly stated the consequences in case of default. I also had a security agreement with his home and the contents being the collateral. I have...

Promisory Note [ 1 Answers ]

I have a promisory note from an individual who just declared bankruptcy. A letter was sent to me from a law firm and I was listed in it along with various other victims. What are my options if any? How can I make the best out of this with my tax return? Anything else?

View more questions Search