Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tany072075 Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Jul 11, 2010, 10:04 AM
    12 year old. Old enuf?
    My daughter is 12 years old and currently lives with her dad. Recently she has decided she wants to live with me. I have been on very good terms with dad for quite awhile. However he is not willing to just let her come live with me. We live in Iowa. I'm pretty sure 12 years old is the age that a judge will consider her choice. But how do I go about getting this done. Please help. She's very unhappy
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2010, 02:50 PM

You have to file for a change in custody with the court that issued the original custody order. While the judge may listen to your daughter's preference, the decision will be the judges based on all factors.
    tany072075 Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Jul 12, 2010, 03:24 AM

Will I need a lawyer for this or will it mostly between my daughter and the judge?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2010, 05:20 AM

It depends on whether the father challenges it. Especially if he brings a lawyer into it.

And its not going to be just your daughter talking to the judge. The judge is probably going to have Family services do home visits to check out living conditions, request financials, ask for opinions from teachers and others. This is not going to be a go into the judge and come out with a decision. The only way that happens is if ALL parties are in agreement and the judge is just needed to stamp it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Show the beginning of the year and end of year in a cost of good manufacture in excel [ 1 Answers ]

Canseco Company Beginning of 2007 End of 2007 Direct materials inventory $22,000 $26,000 Work-in-process inventory 21,000 20,000 Finished goods inventory 18,000 23,000 Purchases of direct materials 75,000 Direct manufacturing labor 25,000 Indirect...

Statutory rape consent in winnipeg for a 21 year old female to date a 16 year old boy [ 7 Answers ]

Im am a 16 year old boy going on 17 in a few months, I'm in a relationship with a 20 year old female, her parents and my parents agree with our relationship, can she be charged with statuatory rape?

New HDTV not enuf jacks for hookup [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I just bought a new 32 inch HDTV jacks included are 1HDMI 1RCA 1S VIDEO 1COMPONENT . These jack are located in the back, under a panel, very difficult to get to, if you are not mounting the TV. So I need to know if I have the proper hook ups before I place the TV in it's...

I don't love her enuf [ 3 Answers ]

I'm am so confused.. I luvd a girl once mor than I eva have luvd anyone... n den becoz of mistakes I had made in the way I treated her she told me it was over and I should move on :( so I had anuva girl hu rely fancied me... and I do now care for this girl bt nt as much as I cared for the...

Publisher doesn' think I marketed enuf, can they sue me for book returns? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... I went with a small publisher and had my book come out this year. I felt I did the marketing required of me, but they don't feel like I lived up to it... Can they sue me for the book returns they are getting from the stores?? I have the TYPICAL STANDARD FIRST TIME BOOK CONTRACT that is...

View more questions Search