Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the_lonely_spouse1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 09:46 AM
    Marriage intimacy problems only after a year of marriage
    Hello,

It is my first time on this web site and I am hoping to express my frustration and possibly share my painful experience with somebody who can help me with advice.

My husband and I have been dating for 3 years and been married for one year! Ever since I moved into his house he has been acting emotionally distant sometimes and he started to reject making love to me, saying that he is not in the mood or that it is not the right time. This has been happening for a year and I have been very hurt and frustrated, feeling not loved by him. We have talked about this and every time he gave me no answer. He said he does not know what is going on with him and he is depressed.

I am starting to lose my hope and it is very difficult for me to even stay connected emotionally with him when he does not want me! I know he is not cheating on me and otherwise we have a wonderful relationship and he is a very good attentive man.

I just do not understand his lack of interest in intimacy. Please help me with some feedback on common shared experiences or opinions about my husbands lack of interest!

Thank you!

redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2010, 10:01 AM

The first year of marriage is the hardest,or so they say,your both adjusting and finding a new normal with added responsibility.

He says he feels depressed?

Has he seen a doctor?

Will he see a doctor?

Time to sit down and talk,sometimes you have to MAKE time to make love,and it can take a conscious effort on both sides.

Marriage takes work,its not easy,but the benefits of working together pay huge dividends.

There are three parts to your marriage,you,him,and the marriage itself,all three need attention.

Talk to him and try and find ways together to improve your sex life,make a date night,plan it together,maybe a weekend away?

Both of you need to make the effort,not just you,and he needs to realise that.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2010, 11:26 AM

It may be his only option for now,but what he could do is check out online courses,receive the lectures on cd and listen and learn while he's driving.

Open university courses?

Adult back to education?

A laptop for the journey to get started on research etc.

Changing jobs can be tough,but it can be done.

His apathy towards his job and his general unhappiness can be changed,he just had t owant it to change.

For you,you could check into something that he likes to do,maybe a coach driver? or starting his own business?

Give him the link to his dream and the possibility that it could work and you might find a man with a new lease of life.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 12:28 PM

How old is he? How long has he been driving?

How often is he home? For how long at a time?

Does he own his own rig or is he working for a company? I know a lot of truckers have been extremely depressed over the past couple of years because of the price of fuel and maintaining a truck. Is that part of his problem?

It it is loneliness, can you go on the road with him every now and then? Has he thought of having a co-driver?

A laptop and online courses could be a great way for him to expand his options without giving up his job (Had to spread the rep, Red).

What were things like before you got married? Could there have been issues that were masked by the limited amount of time you could spend together due to living in separate places?
    septemberlove Posts: 30, Reputation: 11

Jul 11, 2010, 02:19 PM
    My husband and I dated three years, and will be married a year in September. During the last 10 months he has lost 2 jobs, and has been depressed. Though my husband and I didn't have this issue, we did deal with a lot of obstacles. I definitely agree that encouraging him to search for a job where he can thrive. Through talking with my husband, I've learned that a lot of his depression came from the sudden realization that his choices and mistakes no longer only affected him. He let me know that he had this overwhelming feeling that he wasn't able to provide for me and give me all that I needed and wanted.

Try encouraging your husband, let him know how appreciative you are for the sacrifices he makes as a driver for your family. Also, try to set up a date night or recreate your honeymoon. Just be patient.

Jul 12, 2010, 09:45 PM
    Comment on septemberlove's post
    Hello,
    Thank you for your advice. My husband does not know why he is depressed. As for the possibility of a better job or school, that is out of question! He tried to go to school and did not like it! I have encouraged him and even pushed him but I

Jul 12, 2010, 09:49 PM
    Comment on Cat1864's post
    Hi,
    He is 25 but he is home every night! He has a local driving job!
    I am actually the lonely one! And he is probably lonely inside as well! What kind of person-man- can refuse to make love to his wife, making up excuses all the time!
    Before I'm
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 13, 2010, 06:16 AM

The_lonely_spouse, if you use the Answer box at the bottom of the thread, you make one post instead of replying to each and very post with the same information.

Does he have a dream job?
    What type of school did he try going to?

Jul 13, 2010, 02:20 PM
    Comment on Cat1864's post
    Haha.. thank you for the tip... that helps!
    Bakequery Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 18, 2010, 06:09 AM
    There could be all different reasons this is happening. Why don't YOU go to a counselor and try to get some help dealing with the problem? A counselor will be able to take the time to really understand the situation - something that we can't do here in a few paragraphs.

For instance: Could you have bad hygiene? Could he have contracted a venereal disease that he doesn't want to give you? Could he be embarrassed by his performance? Could your husband be a homosexual?

There could be so many different reasons this is happening that it is a waste of time guessing about it. Best thing to do is get some counseling on how to deal with it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 18, 2010, 01:44 PM

Are there no children at home?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marriage with no intimacy [ 20 Answers ]

I am currently in a relationship where one foot is already out the door. I have been married for 8 years; however over the past seven years my husband has shown very little interest in me physically. I am 30 and my husband is 38. We rarely had sex in past seven years. At last in average three or...

How do you regain the intimacy in marriage? [ 11 Answers ]

We have lost all the physical and emotional intimacy in my marriage. My husband has low testosterone and is being treated for this. But he still has no interest in me. I know he is not having an affair. He has distanced himself from me emotionally and physically. We are going to sex therapy in...

Trouble with intimacy in marriage [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married for 2 1/2 years, but seem to have suffered from some degree of bedroom intimacy issues for the last 5 or so. We have been together for 8 or so years and used to have a very healthy and happy love life. Over time her lebito has slowly worsened to the almost grinding...

Dilemma on intimacy in marriage [ 6 Answers ]

This may sound like a classic case of husband cheating his wife but I can certainly use some advice from you. I have been married for 9 years. Have a 3 year old kid. For last 5 years there has been lack of intimacy between me and my wife. We both do our duties towards the family. She takes care...

No intimacy in my marriage [ 19 Answers ]

I have been married for close to 17 years. I am 47 and my husband is 3 and half years yonger than myself. We have 2 wonderful girls who are 16 and 13. Before I start, let me just say my husband is not gay nor is he having an affair (trust me I have checked). There has been no extra marrital affairs...

View more questions Search