Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    olegwild Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 09:00 PM
    How to sue association management company?
    Hey Guys,

I live in CT.
    I have a question and need your help with it. For four months I have been battling the management company for our building to fix the issue (crack in the outside wall that lets small amounts of water into my apartment) and always hear some different excuses. I would like to take them to court and interested if if it worth to hire a lawyer at this point. I am never late with my monthly dues so there is no issues with payments. Where should I go first? Can I go to small claims court (it is a company I am going against not person)? Can I hire a lawyer and then fight for all damages (physical, legal, moral)? I think I have a case here because the management company is responsible for the exterior of the building and I pay my dues in time.
    Please advice. If you had some experience fighting management companies please share it as well.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 10, 2010, 09:40 PM
    If I were you, before I'd file any lawsuits I'd speak to the president of the board. See, you aren't really suing the management company. You're suing your condo association because they are the ones who are responsible for repairing common elements. The management company is merely the manager of the association.

If you sue the condo association then the association is going to make a special assessment against all of the unit owners in order to pay the court costs and legal fees involved in defending against your suit. So in reality you'll be paying extra to the association to cover the costs of your lawsuit against them. Assuming you win the case, the association would then have to turn around and sue the management company for violating the terms of the management agreement.

Your best bet is to speak to the president or one of the board members of the association and let them know what's going on. They can then speak to the management company about getting this resolved. If that doesn't work then you can sue the association to get the repairs done.
    olegwild Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 06:47 PM
    Lisa,

Thank you for your response. I was once on board but in different association and I know the if someone complained for such a long time the property manager would contact the board. I am absolutely sure that board is aware of it but they just trying to extend the time (in case I might fix it myself). I will try to talk to one of them. But in any case, if the worst case scenario happens, will the small claims court review my case or should I go higher?

Thank you
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 06:59 PM
    Small claims will take it no matter what. But if your costs are beyond the limit and you choose to remain in small claims then you're waiving your right to recover anything beyond the small claims limit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to sue a title company [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to sue a title company if they tell you your title is a clear Title and it turn out that it is not a clear title after you purchase title insurance from this company.

Can I sue my title company? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I just bought our house about 3 months. Ago. So we have paid 2 payments. The other day we revieved a letter from our mortgage co. saying that we need to pay 2,200 up front plus they are rasing our mortgage payment by 150.00 a month which goes in effect in less then 2 weeks from the...

Sue Company For Affair [ 27 Answers ]

Can a company be sued for the cause of a marital affair? My brothers wife had an affair with a manger at a car dealership whom she met at the car dealership whom the salesman kept pursuing her, calling her from the phone number listed on the application from when she purshased a car. I know that...

Can you sue your own mortgage company? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you sue your own mortgage company for injury incurred on your property?

Do I have a case to sue my company [ 1 Answers ]

Istarted working for a company 7months ago.Within two months I was promoted from tills to supervisor.I was also told supervisor was being changed to shift managers and I had the job A week later I had my thumb broken ,it had nothing to do with work ,I was on the sick for 5weeks I was told during...

View more questions Search