Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimwest Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 12:49 PM
    Water heater pilot won't stay lit?
    50 gallon NG Water heater still in warranty, but for parts only. Burner and pilot would light but go out later. Whirlpool sent me the complete pilot/thermocouple assembly - no help (I used to be able to get the burner to light, but not now). Then they sent me a new gas valve. All installed. Pilot will light but goes out as soon as I release the Pilot "button". Since I have essentially replaced everything there is, what can the problem be ? Only thing I can come up with is the pilot is not hitting the new thermocouple, but it is very hard to see. Plus everything is locked down and not like the old ones where you could adjust things.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2010, 01:21 PM

The only thing that I can suggest is from the Expert, Speedball1 (Tom) as he says

Look out next to the gas meter. Is there a tee with a capped pipe sticking down out of it? If so that's a drip loop. This picks up any moisture in the gas line and stores it in the capped pipe before it gets to the heater. Sometimes the capped pipe gets full allowing water to enter the gas line and extinguish the pilot light. Turn the gas off at the meter stop, remove the hard cap and drain the capped line. After you tape the threads and replace the cap turn the gas on and test the joint by painting it with dish detergent. Any bubbles, shut the gas off and re do the joint, I hope it will work

John
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jul 10, 2010, 06:35 PM

Agree w/ afaroo. There might also be a drip leg right at the WH itself. Same problem, same cure.
    jimwest Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 05:19 AM
    Seems all of my reply did not make it, so trying this route. Drip leg was clear. Had to be removed and re-installed to add the new controls. Water ran down and into pilot area when draining. Was clear (but still moist) when re-lighting it. Is there any way to increase the size of the pilot flame ? I'm thinking if we could increase slightly, it might hit the thermocouple better. Since the pilot assembly and controls are all new, the anti-flashback screen had to be clear, and I don't see anything left.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 02:43 PM

Hi Jim...

This is a closed combustion chamber water heater... yes? If so, remove the screws/nuts on the combustion chamber so the chamber remains open to the air a bit and then try lighting the pilot and see if it stays lit. If it does and the water heater fires when the gas valve is turned ON then most likely the air filter/combustion air screen to the heater is clogged and will need to be unclogged.

Try opening the combustion chamber... let me know what happens... OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm gas heater pilot lite won't stay lit. [ 3 Answers ]

I have followed the directions, yet the pilot lite won't stay on.

Water heater pilot won't stay lit.. [ 4 Answers ]

Unit was new about 14 months ago, worked fine till recently. Whirlpool BFG1F404053NOV0751118163 Valve: Robert Shaw 64-LF8-376R110 RATSP1 Initially I was able to light the pilot again, and fire the heater and it would work, I believe up to temp, then hours later I'd notice the water going...

Water heater pilot won't stay lit [ 5 Answers ]

My water heater pilot won't stay lit. Sometimes it stays lit and will work for a few hours and then goes out again. It's been doing this daily for about 2wks. The water heater is not old. What can be the problem?

Water heater pilot won't stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

The pilot light on my water heater went out yesterday and I was able to get it going and had hot water for most of the day. But it went out again last night, and I was able to get the pilot light to relight when pressing the button but when let up on immediately goes out. I tried replacing the...

Water heater pilot won't stay lit [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, last Friday BGE (Baltimore Gas and Electric) turned off the gas supply to a couple row houses on my block. They said water had gotten in the gas line and they were in the process of clearing it out. On Tuesday, when I was able to get my heat back (electric ignitor), the service guy tried to...

View more questions Search