Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    REMMURER Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Dec 15, 2006, 05:38 AM
    Medicaid Estate Recovery Program
    Hello, Im A 46 Year Old Man Who's Lived An Cared For My 82 Year Old Mother With Alziemers Disease For The Past 10 Years. She Will Need To Go Into A Nursing Home Soon But Medicaid Says She Can't Put Our House In My Name Because Of The Medicaid Estate Recovery Program. And Our Family Lawyer Refuses To Put It In My Name Saying We Might Get In Trouble. They Say I Can Live In The House But I Can't Sell It Or Leave It To My Family Because Once I Die It Becomes Their Property. Isn't There Any Way To Have This Law Waved Under Certain Circumstances??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 15, 2006, 05:39 AM
    No. The time to do this was when you first started caring for her. Now its too late.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2006, 12:12 PM
    Sadly no, and even if you put it in your name yourself, they can still come after it. You have to transfer the any property several years ( sorry not up on how many) before the person goes into the nursing home.

You can buy it from her for a fair and reasonable price and make payments to the estate for that amount or borrow money and buy it if you wish to keep it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 15, 2006, 12:26 PM
    Can she put the home in her will for him?

Dec 15, 2006, 01:20 PM
    I Contacted Medicaid And Was Told Since I Have Lived In The Home And Taken Care Of My Mother For The Past Two Years That All Rights They Had To The House Would Be Waved. I Was Also Free To Sell The House At Anytime An Put The Next House I Buy In My Name. Thanks For The Help Though

Dec 15, 2006, 01:41 PM
    Thanks for passing along that info and I'm glad I was wrong. Gives one some faith in government doesn't it.

Dec 15, 2006, 01:45 PM
    Scott wasn't wrong. Its just medicaid along with the nursing homes don't want us to know these things. I get different stories from different agencies I call. I finally just went an explained my situation to someone at medicaid. So really your right, I just found a loop hole though.
    medicaidmedic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 06:37 PM
    Because medicaid is a state run system, it's important to post the state you're in.

If your in New York you might want to have my opinion, even though you have a lot against you there might still be a small possibility to save the day, or at least part of it.

Dec 30, 2006, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by medicaidmedic
    because medicaid is a state run system, it's important to post the state you're in.

if your in New York you might want to have my opinion, even though you have a lot against you there might still be a small possibility to save the day, or at least part of it.
    If you read the thread, you would have seen that the OP found an answer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2006, 09:20 PM
    I am glad it has worked out, getting the government to do something nice is not normal, I am sure this helps and saves a lot of problems for you.

I am very glad I was wrong in your case.
    medicaidmedic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    If you read the thread, you would have seen that the OP found an answer.
    Sorry!

By the way do you really think I had not read it.

What a pity

By the way what they told him, is inaccurate, and to waive a law or a rule and regulation requires at least the authority of a commissioner.

Have a good one

Jan 2, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by medicaidmedic
    Sorry!
    By the way do you really think i had not read it.
    what a pity
    By the way what they told him, is inaccurate, and to waive a law or a rule and regulation requires at least the authority of a commissioner.
    have a good one
    Then why didn't you say that instead? Based on your post, it appeared you didn't read the whole thread. But if you think he was given inaccurate advice then that's what you should have said.

Jan 2, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Ive Contacted The Nursing Home Where My Mother Is Going And Medicaid. I Told Them I Transferred The House Into My Name A Week Ago. Just Go To Office Depot An Get The Quick Claim Deed, Filled It Out And Had It Signed At The Courthouse. You Also Need A Pt61 Form Signed As Well. My Mother Still Got Medicaid Without Paying A Penalty For Our Property Tranfer , And The Nursing Home Had No Problem As Long As She Was Covered Under Medicaid. But Only Because Ive Provided Care In Home For At Least Two Years Which Delayed Her Entrance Into A Home. If I Hadn't Lived There For The Past Ten Years, I Would Be Out Of Luck.
    bouncerboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 05:28 PM
    I live in Arkansas. My situation is similar except I have a quitclaim deed that is dated several years ago, but was never filed. Would the medicaid program look at the date of the deed or look at the date it was filed?
    roadrunner41559 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 11:47 AM
    We had a deed also that was signed 4 years but only recorded 1 yr before and medicaid made us put it back in my fathers name before his nursing home would be paid. Now 2 yrs later he has passed away and we received a $40,000. Bill, that is to be paid or they are taking his $22,000 dollar home. We sent pictures and showed them recovery was not cost effective it's not worth the trouble small run down 1 bedroom 1 bath house. But they take your underwear, believe me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

File as 1040, and request SS and Medicaid(?).. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I appreciate your quick responses to all of my questions. I have options between 1040 and dual-status My question today is, 1) Is it possible that I file with 1040 and file the request for refund of social security and medicare tax at the same time? Even if SS and Medi are not part of...

View more questions Search