Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carl17 Posts: 66, Reputation: 9

Jul 9, 2010, 08:28 AM
    How do I teach my JRT to speak?
    I've tried everything that I can think of to try and teach my dog to speak. I barricaded her behind something and stood there with a treat just within her grasp and she wouldn't bark. I also tried tying her up and walking away from her ( she has anxietys) but I just couldn't associate the command with the behavior I want. She ended up being mad at me and disobeying me. What do I do?
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2010, 08:34 AM

This sounds like animal cruelty to me
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 9, 2010, 08:40 AM

Why do you want to teach her to speak?

Usually, it is easier to associate the command with something they are already doing. Such as, she is barking, you give the command and a treat. You, then, associate silence with 'quiet'.

I will say though that I had a dog who would not bark inside the house even if you offered him a rib-eye. He would send himself into coughing fits.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2010, 08:49 AM

Hello: C:

You don't really think you can train your dog to say "I love you" like the JRT on Youtube does, do you? I'll bet you do.

Try doggie dentures.

excon
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 9, 2010, 06:59 PM

When your dog is barking say the command speak, and treat. Than say some lthing like stop or quiet or leave it, and when he stops barking treat. This is a tricky command because it can lead to a very vocal dog, and seeing as you will be treating him when he barking, he is going to think that you want him to bark all the time. You would have better luck to teach the "leave it" command or "quiet" or "stop" command first, and than the "speak" command.

Tying your dog up isn't going to teach him to speak, it's going to confuse him and make him upset and possibly more anxious, same with the barricading.

And I have to ask, you mean speak as in bark for a treat right?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2010, 07:58 PM

I remember doing that decades ago. I'd go "speak" and do a loud "woof" as bast as I could mimic a dog.

Eventually I taught "Whisper" which is a very soft "woof".

Whisper is cool. Any dog can speak.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 10, 2010, 06:01 PM

I saw that this thread was closed, but I am going to re open it. Unless there was some other issue, and the mods can close away! :)
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 12:15 PM

I don't understand why I received a disagree on an opinion. There was no factually INcorrect information in my post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When I don't speak to my boyfriend I miss him;when I speak to him I get frustrated [ 2 Answers ]

Hi to all, My relation with my boyfriend is not going good. I love him and he says he loves me too, but I don't feel that he does. He borrowed money from me (in march) which he was supposed to return by end of April but hasn't. Every time I asked him to return my money, he made an excuse or...

3 year son doesn't speak completely,speak single and easy words [ 2 Answers ]

3 year old son he speak only fews words like,papa,mummy,bhaiya,didi,dada,mama,nana,nani,doggy etc.he seems to be very slow in learning things as compare to others children's.he has started gng to play school,his teachers say he is improving day by day,but I'm wondering what will gng to happen with...

My JRT needs Deo! [ 15 Answers ]

I love my jack russel terrior to death! She is the sweetest dog we've ever had.. and even though a lot of people talk about how hyper they are, she is a great dog that loves to cuddle up to you.. sometimes it even looks like she's smiling lol. But enough about that She loves to burrow under the...

JRT Training after possible abuse? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a JRT that is aprox. 1yr old, we adopted him from a breeder recently and he is VERY skittish around people, is afraid of brooms, loves to jump on everyone, he also nips at anyone and everyones hands (feet too his is not picky). He is a very sweet dog, I am just wondering where to...

Can anyone teach a 15 yr old boy to speak? [ 1 Answers ]

My son has been aphasic since birth. My belief is, he his weak muscle syndrome he had, discouraged his use of his lips and tongue. Is there a phonetic system, perhaps with diagrams, that show the placement of tongue and lips, to make sounds? Extra info: he has had a speech pathologist. He or...

View more questions Search