Ask
    Rose9993 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2010, 12:53 AM
    Is it possible to train a year old dog to stop getting up at 3 am to potty
    Just a quick question.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2010, 10:01 AM

Is he crated at night? I put my pups to bed around 10:30pm and they make it through the night until 6am.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2010, 10:17 AM

Its not really about "training", you can't train them not to pee. It is about schedule and routine. May I ask when you feed/water your pup? It is best to feed them in the morning and I take away my dogs water 2 hours before bed and give it back as soon as I wake up. My dog used to wake me up early morning and this schedule helped a bit, he used to want out and 4am now he doesn't want out until about 7am (Which I can handle:P).
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 9, 2010, 10:28 AM

Is he in good health? What happens if you don't let him out at 3 am?

Is he new to your family or have you been dealing with this for awhile?

If he is new, do you know his history? How long he takes to train him to wait longer can depend on what the living conditions were like in his past.

When is he fed and when is he last let out to potty? Does someone make sure that he goes to the bathroom instead of playing around or investigating?

When is bedtime? Earlier feeding times and taking up his water dish about an hour before his last potty time along with a later last trip outside can help him not need to go so early.

Something we are dealing with is that while potty training, we were putting our pup out immediately after she woke up. Now when she wakes up, she needs to go outside right then (a doggy door helped us with that problem she lets herself out). Part of the training now, is to let her know that she can hold it for awhile after she wakes up.
    Rose9993 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2010, 02:25 PM
    Thank-you... these are very helpful. He is about a year old and doesn't ask to go out every morning at 3. Often he makes it until 6:30. We go to bed about 11 and I take him out before we go to bed. I have not been paying attention to when he last eats and drinks. I will cut him off at least an hour before we go to bed. I'm sure that will make a big difference for him.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 9, 2010, 03:04 PM
    Good luck and please, if you would, give us an update. It helps us and those reading the thread to know what might work in the future or if a new approach is needed. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My friends 4 year old daughter won't talk or potty train [ 10 Answers ]

My friend has a daughter who is 4 and won't talk she use to speak out words mom, dad, cat.. But now she don't say anything if she wants something she will come get you and show you what she want's. If you choose the wrong thing she lets out a scream. She is still in diapers as well won't use the...

How does someone potty train a Hoarded dog? [ 8 Answers ]

My sister adopted a corgie mix about a year ago and her name is Shelby. Her fiancé and her have tried to potty train shelby since the day they got her and nothing has worked. She came from the humane society and they had mentioned that she was horded. Shelby is a great mannered dog and she listens...

How to potty train my dog? [ 3 Answers ]

OK so I go to school everyday and I already paid for this really really cute 6 week old and me and my dad gone to see the puppy and then we paid 50 pound deposit and then in 2 weeks I'm giving 200 pound ANYWAY lol :D when I'm getting him he's going to be 8 weeks old and he's not potty trained and...

How To Potty Train 2 year old Twins? [ 8 Answers ]

I have Been Trying to Potty Train my 24 months Twin Daughters For about 3 monnths now. I have Went Through Potty Training Before With My Oldest Daughter and She Was The Same Age as Her Sisters When She Starting Potty Training.. Why is it Really Hard and Different With the Twins? Can anyone Please...

Potty Train Adult Dog and Breaking from Biting [ 3 Answers ]

We just adopted a beagle from the pound,she is aprox. 5yrs old I took her to the vet and other than needing a dental cleening she got a clean bill of health... The problem I am having is her sneeking around to soil in the house and I swear she soils more than she takes in... She has a crate ,she...

View more questions Search