Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reply2navi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 10:38 PM
    Deposit Not Being Returned
    Hello,

We recently started the paperwork for a new house in Sacramento, CA being built by SHEA homes. After the papers were signed, we paid a deposit of $10,000 to the builder. Due to an unforeseen event we had to back out of the deal. The builder is refusing to pay the initial deposit back to us. Is there anything that can be done?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2006, 05:46 AM
    Hello reply:

The devil is in the details. Your "papers" should tell you if you have recourse or not. What does it say about non performance? They probably don't say that you can back out without a penalty. If I was a builder, I wouldn't give my buyers an out.

Why? Well, when I sell a house to somebody, it's not available to anybody else. During the time it's off the market, I could be losing a REAL sale, so I should be compensated. That's what the deposit is for, and it's quite appropriate.

This contract was written for builder's protection. Next time you enter into one of these, write it so YOU are protected.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 15, 2006, 05:56 AM
    Instead of, or at least before) asking here, you should be reading your contract. The contract specifies whether the deposit is refundable or not and if so, under what conditions.

So we can't tell you what can be done without knowing the terms of the contract. Most likely nothing can be done since that's the purpose of a deposit, it holds your interest in the property and protects the seller in case you back out.

You do have the option of finding someone to buy it from you.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Dec 15, 2006, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by reply2navi
    Hello,

We recently started the paperwork for a new house in Sacramento, CA being built by SHEA homes. After the papers were signed, we paid a deposit of $10,000 to the builder. Due to an unforeseen event we had to back out of the deal. The builder is refusing to pay the initial deposit back to us. Is there anything that can be done??
    The "new construction" contract is ALWAYS slanted to the builder... there is little recourse outside the contract options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deposit [ 6 Answers ]

In Pa. does a landlord have to put deposit in a escrow account. I have looked it up and think they have to. My landlord is taking me to court 6/26/06 because I didn't meet his standard of keeping house. I have a list of repairs that he hasn't done. I paid a months rent and deposit 11/01/05 and...

Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

Refundable deposit is classified as liability or not?

Returned check [ 1 Answers ]

In New York State what is the legal procedure to collect on a bad check? I was told you need to send a registered letter to give time to pay on check, and what if the person who gave the check never receives any notice ? What rights do they have?

Deposit help [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into an apartment in 11/2004 and paid a $600.00 deposit. I gave my 30day notice and moved out on 01/06. No one was available to do a walk through with me due to the holiday weekend. I am now getting a letter in the mail that I owe 300.00 and they are keeping my deposit. I tried to talk...

For Deposit Only [ 2 Answers ]

If, along with proper endorsement, a check is marked "For Deposit Only", can the check be cashed, or does it have to be deposited into some type of suitable account? Additionally, if the check is marked "For Deposit Only To #####", can it be deposited in any other account than the one specified?

View more questions Search