Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    invisiblelaura12 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2010, 04:41 AM
    Can an American citizen easily file a divorce with a non-american citizen?
    She entered through a K1 visa. She later decide to go back to her home country. Because of this, she couldn't get back to the US as she also had some troubles with visa. Can her husband file and process a divorce without his wife consent?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2010, 04:55 AM

No. She has to be located and served with the divorce papers. It is not as "easy" as divorcing someone who is local. Citizenship has nothing to do with it.

She may or may not appear in Court via an Attorney but if there are joint assets OR she wants spousal support she probably will appear. If the divorce goes to a hearing or trial she may apply for an Immigration waiver to attend.

Jul 8, 2010, 06:17 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    Thanks for the reply.

I do have have follow-up question. She does have a removal proceeding scheduled for July 27 for the grounds of over staying. Which she can prove that she has no illegal stay in the US. The husband receive the notice on removal proc
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2010, 06:18 AM

Invisiblelaura - you asked a question because you obviously don't know the answer. I posted the answer because I DO know the answer.

You have disagreed with me because my answer is (presumably) wrong.

What part of my answer is wrong?

Jul 8, 2010, 06:22 AM
    Thanks for the reply. :-)

I do have have follow-up question. She does have a removal proceeding scheduled for July 27 for the grounds of over staying. Which she can prove that she has no illegal stay in the US. The husband receive the notice on removal proceeding the day after she (the wife) left the US.

Is there any way that you know as to how she can deal with it if she couldn't be present in the US at the time of the proceeding? Is there any way that she could enter the US?

Jul 8, 2010, 06:54 AM
    Is it possible to file for a Revocation for Summary Dissolution (FL-830) from abroad?
    She signed the joint petition but realized that it isn't going the right way. She wants to revoke the petition for summary dissolution? However, she is no longer in the US anymore and couldn't go back as she is having some trouble with her visa. Is it possible to mail the FL-830 and have it filed and processed?

Jul 11, 2010, 06:55 PM
    How is the divorce process going to work if the spouse is in another country?
    Husband is an american citizen. Wife is not. So, how could it work?

Jul 11, 2010, 06:59 PM
    How to file revocation for summary dissolution (fl-830) from outside the US?
    Is it possible to have the FL-830 filed and processed if I mail it from outside the US? Does anyone knows the mailing address for Alameda superior court, family law unit? (PS. I've posted this question a few times but every time I open it, it says it is no longer available.so, I'm reposting.)

Jul 11, 2010, 07:05 PM
    How can I deal with a removal proceeding if I am already outside of the US?
    Husband received a notice for removal proceeding just the day after the wife left the US. She enters on a K1 visa and she can prove (with proper/legal documents) that she doesn't have an illegal stay in the US. But it happens that the wife has already left the US when the notice was received and couldn't go back to the US. How is she going to deal with the proceeding, if she has a court schedule for 27th of July?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 07:13 PM

Here is one reference for you.
    Ref:
    California Courts: Self-Help Center: Families & Children: Child, Spousal, & Partner Support

Where are you mailing it from?
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 07:15 PM

If you know where she is currently living it may be possible to have her served. Depends on the country.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 13, 2010, 01:16 PM

invisiblelaura12 : From philippines. What if the husband don't intend to have her serve and choose not to inform the court?

Then that would be stupid because it can be overturned and dismissed for that very reason. Stick with the facts and be honest. Otherwise it could cost you more then you can imagine.

Jul 14, 2010, 06:22 AM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    Thanks for the reply.

So, it is definitely not going to be easy for him without the cooperation of the wife right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are all the papers to file when married to american citizen? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I just got married in the US to an american citizen and now I want to know what are all the papers that I need to file to migration, my current status in the us is tourist since Im a resident of a south american country. Thank you

Marrying an american citizen who wishes to file for bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Myself and a GF are thinking about getting married, problem is she has about 25K in debts and while earning about 32K a year barely able to pay them off each month. I am as a foreign citizen wish to marry her but I don't know how that might effect us in general. Will we be able to get married...

How can an american citizen file for a non resident [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend in the united states that would like to spouncer me staying in the us to work and eventually have me be a resident there?

American/jordanian citizen, married to syrian; want divorce [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I was born in jordan and lived in the states; dual citizen. I'm now living in syria, and married to a syrian. I have a daughter that is now 4 months old born in syria, but with a jordanian birth certificate and plan to get my daughter american citizenship. Our marriage license is...

View more questions Search