Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bemman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 10:50 AM
    Forgot to deduct taxes on a paycheck
    On a payroll check, taxes were not deducted, was in 2009, 2009 taxes are already filed and everything in reconciled in Quickbooks as well as all accounts, should this money still be paid back to the company by the employee?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 7, 2010, 11:06 AM

Are you talking about income taxes that were not withheld from the employees' pay, but that the company paid to the IRS on behalf of the employees? Did the employees' W2's reflect the amount the company paid to the IRS, as opposed to what was actually withheld from their pay? If so, then in effect the employees each got a nice little bonus courtesy of this payroll error. Whether the company wants to be reimbursed by the employees is a business decision - you could just let it go as a bonus, or you could take a deduction from payroll and call it "company reimbursement." If you go that route you'll have to be very clear as to why you're taking money out of paychecks in 2010 whch is not taxes, and won't be included in taxes withheld in this year's W2's. Or you could reissue corrected W2's for 2009 to all employees showing the correct amount that was actually withheld, which would mean all employeees would have to file amended 2009 tax returns and in most cases would have to write a check to the IRS - that won't make you any friends either.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 7, 2010, 11:55 AM

Comments on this post
    Bemman disagrees

I assume you didn't mean to disagree, but got confused by the new interface being experimented with. Please do not use the Reply button to post any followups use the Answer This question options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my boss deduct money from paycheck for wrecking company car? [ 11 Answers ]

My husband was driving the bosses car to making a delivery. The breaks went out and he totaled the car. The car was fully covered and his boss wants him to pay the $1000 deductable. His boss wants to deduct from his paycheck every other week about $50-$75, can his boss do that?

How much do I deduct from my employee's paycheck? [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to write my first employee paycheck and I don't know how much to withhold or how to find out. Washington state resident, one exemption. I'll probably end up using a payroll service or payroll software, but in the meantime, I have to pay her to morrow!

Can I deduct my property taxes in Brazil from my Income Taxes in US [ 1 Answers ]

I own to propterties in Brazil and pay property taxes in Brazil. I have no Income in Brazil. Can I deduct my property taxes paid in Brazil on my US Income tax return please?

How much do I deduct from my employee's paycheck? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know how much taxes to take out when I pay my employees.. In the state of Florida

Forgot to deduct Exemption amount in Federal Tax Return [ 2 Answers ]

Background: I came to US in Jan2008 and my family (wife & 2 kids) joined me in April 2008. Since all of us have lived more than 183 days, I think we come under the category 'US Resident Alien'. I prepared federal tax return - Married filing jointly using form 1040A. Myself and my spouse had SSN#...

View more questions Search