Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babie68021 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2010, 01:57 PM
    My '00 Chevy Blazer isn't getting power to the fuel pump & I've replaced the relay
    I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer we have replaced the fuel pump and the fuel relay and my the car still won't start. We hooked up the scan tool and my truck won't read it. It cranks but WILL NOT start. Any ideas?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2010, 06:03 PM

. Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Clean the main ECM ground and ensure the ECM is working--does the CEL come on and go off normally?

. Perform tests, in the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2123675

. Check the ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting, if the problem persists.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 8, 2010, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by babie68021 View Post
    I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer we have replaced the fuel pump and the fuel relay and my the car still wont start. We hooked up the scan tool and my truck wont read it. It cranks but WILL NOT start. Any ideas?
    So, you're not getting fuel prime or fuel pressure?
    Are you getting spark? Or any codes at all?
    Check for power on the Gray wire, at the fuel pump during cranking or when the key is turned to the RUN position (it will only have power for a few seconds).
    c3unit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2010, 09:17 AM
    Could be your factory anti theft system - it cuts power to the pump if it doesn't like the key. To test to see if this is the case, attempt to start it once, then leave the key in the on position for a minimum of 10 minutes. If it starts, then your anti theft system is malfunctioning.
    volvokenny Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 01:16 AM
    Ahhhhh... nice looking small SUV gas guzzler. We just sold our 98 black blazer a few months ago. It had a lot of power in that 4.6 engine but yikes gets about 15L/100km had to let it go due to gas prices. A very stylish SUV but sure didn't miss going to the gas pump all the time. I wish Chev would make the same style Blazer with a smaller engine I would get one!

Here are some of the troubles I came across when I had my Blazer:

At around hundred thousand km I had trouble starting it cracks but won't start the alternator was good but it seems to suck a lot of juice from the battery I ended up buying the red top Optima battery it solved the issue.
    At around 150K had trouble starting again this time it was the fuel pump as these blazers are prone to fuel pump replacements it solved the problem.
    The next day after replacing the fuel pump it had trouble starting again so I took it back to the mechanic the problem was a loose spark plug wire (what a joke mechanic didn't push one of the wire into the plug hard enough). I would suggest you to check your wires and as you know they are hard to get at in these Blazers!
    At around 180K it had trouble starting again. This time and strangely I had to pull the shifter back and forth then it would start. It was detected the ignition switch was starting to fail and that was changed resolved the problem.

Overall we didn't feel the reliability on our Blazer anymore so we sold it before it got higher km on the Blazer. Perhaps your blazer had the minor starting problems as I did that will have yours started again. Cheers!
    TOMZ1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2012, 03:01 PM
    HI Thanks for the help.
    I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer we have replaced the fuel pump and the fuel relay. Been checking the wiring but did't think that was it, bubby of mine thought could be security system. I do not have a chip in my key! We hooked up the scan tool and my truck won't read it. Truck starts but dies after 2 min. then fuel pump won't fire. Wait awile and pump fires truck starts . But same result. This is the 2nd replacement pump at this time. Have checked original pump & first replacment straight of battery and both fire so got think the one in now is good.

I tried your key test and it seemed to work. 2 times in a row, can I dissable security system myself. FUSE or relay. Don't see anything in fuse scamatic.

Thank.
    Tom
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
    Tomzi, the PCM may be bad.

Aug 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by c3unit View Post
    could be your factory anti theft system - it cuts power to the pump if it doesn't like the key. To test to see if this is the case, attempt to start it once, then leave the key in the on position for a minimum of 10 minutes. If it starts, then your anti theft system is malfunctioning.
    How can I dissable security system ?

Aug 17, 2012, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMZ1 View Post
    how can i dissable security system ?
    Your test is proving to be right. 4 times now. This truck key has no chip in the key. And I have no remote @ have not added a remote starter or anything else. The car alarm horn has gone off a few times only in the past 2 years. When I open the door then if I start the truck it stops . I have had the truck for over 5 years. Can I dissable the security system myself ?

Thanks
    TOMZ1

Aug 17, 2012, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    tomzi, the PCM may be bad.
    Hey how can I check this?

Thanks.
    TOMZ1
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 26, 2013, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokenny View Post
    Ahhhhh...nice looking small SUV gas guzzler. We just sold our 98 black blazer a few months ago. It had a lot of power in that 4.6 engine but yikes gets about 15L/100km had to let it go due to gas prices. A very stylish SUV but sure didn't miss going to the gas pump all the time. I wish Chev would make the same style Blazer with a smaller engine I would get one!

Here are some of the troubles I came across when I had my Blazer:

At around hundred thousand km I had trouble starting it cracks but won't start the alternator was good but it seems to suck a lot of juice from the battery I ended up buying the red top Optima battery it solved the issue.
    At around 150K had trouble starting again this time it was the fuel pump as these blazers are prone to fuel pump replacements it solved the problem.
    The next day after replacing the fuel pump it had trouble starting again so I took it back to the mechanic the problem was a loose spark plug wire (what a joke mechanic didn't push one of the wire into the plug hard enough). I would suggest you to check your wires and as you know they are hard to get at in these Blazers!
    At around 180K it had trouble starting again. This time and strangely I had to pull the shifter back and forth then it would start. It was detected the ignition switch was starting to fail and that was changed resolved the problem.

Overall we didn't feel the reliability on our Blazer anymore so we sold it before it got higher km on the Blazer. Perhaps your blazer had the minor starting problems as I did that will have yours started again. Cheers!

I know this is an older question but I have to tell you... These little 4.6 ltr engines WILL start with one spark plug wire loose. They will start with 2 wires completely off. Your mechanic was pulling your chain. He made a mistake somewhere and was just covering his a@@.
    The bad battery was a no brainer. Every one of your starting problems was due to the bad park,ignition switch going bad. I bet you have a lot of keys on your key ring. Certain death for ignition switch assemblies---too much weight. 15 mpg?? Get your foot out of it. I have a 1999 and I get anywhere from 16 mpg to 24 over the road.
    rogersjames212 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2013, 12:55 AM
    My Blazer was running very well since I brought it, I just parked it at Burger King, to get something to eat, and when I tryied to start it, It wouldn't start. And I just had a new fuel pump out on a year or song ago... James
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2013, 10:32 AM
    rogersjames212, if the starter motor doesn't crank, perform an Ignition By-pass Test, by placing the transmission in Park, engaging the parking brake, removing the push-on connector from the solenoid “S” terminal, and connecting a jumper lead (12 AWG), or preferably a remote starter switch, between the B+ terminal on the solenoid (or positive battery terminal) and the exposed “S” terminal on the solenoid. If the starter motor now operates, the solenoid is fine and the problem is with the starter relay, ignition switch, neutral safety switch or clutch interlock switch, fuse, fusible link, security system, or wiring. If the starter motor still does not operate, replace the solenoid.

If it cranks but won't start, consider replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM), especially if you have 125,000 miles or 10 years on the vehicle. First, however, check for codes, use a multimeter or test light to test all under hood and under dash fuses, and verify that you can hear the fuel pump run when the ignition switch is turned to ON.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1996 Dodge Neon Not Getting Power to the Fuel Pump & Not getting Ignition Spark [ 1 Answers ]

1996 Dodge Neon Not Getting Power to the Fuel Pump & Not getting Ignition Spark. I've Pulled the Fuel Pump & Ran Direct Power to it & it Does Fine. I've Check the Crank Shaft Sensor & All Sensors. I Recently Replaced the Timing Belt @ 96K Miles. The Vehicle would Like Miss Fire Every Now & Then...

What can cause no power to fuel pump other than relay? [ 9 Answers ]

We have a 92 civic that just all of a sudden will not start. Went to take hubby to work did great. After setting for just a few hours I went out to leave to work and it wouldn't start. It is trying to start and has spark. Took fuel filter line off and no fuel coming out. Went to fuel pump in gas...

1992 chevrolet blazer fuel pump electrical problems [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn key to start position, I have power on pump side of relay but when in run position pump side of relay is dead .if I hold key on and keep cranking engine power stays on pump side of relay ,as soon as you let go of key to run pump side dead . If I turn key to run without trying to start I...

92 Honda Civic, no power to fuel pump, but relay checks OK [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1992 Honda Civic That will start intermittently. A mechanic buddy of mine narrowed it down to the fuel pump not getting power. We checked the main relay and it checked out fine. So we jumped the power bypassing the relay and the pump powered up after that. Stumped with a capital. Oh yeah I...

View more questions Search