Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fatal40 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jul 6, 2010, 09:26 AM
    She says she likes me back, but is not looking for a relationship.
    So I've liked this girl for about 4 months now. I met her through a good friend of mine when we visited the restaurant she worked at. At first I never told her I liked her. I let my actions speak for me through visiting her at work, exchanging numbers, giving her a little something from my vacation trip, and just random texts and calls here and there. I didn't want to be too assertive and express how I felt since I didn't really know her all that well. The one big move I made was inviting her to my parents 25th anniversary celebration. She almost didn't make it due to her insane schedule, but she made the sacrifice and came through. It was there that I told her directly how I really felt about her. This was about 3 1/2 months after I first met her. She at first didn't know what to make of it, and she did tell me she wasn't looking for anything serious at this point. She did admit to me that she likes me back, but not as much as I like her back. She also said she's willing to get to know me more and whatever happens happens. I took what she said into heart, and from then on we started phone calling and cute texting each other even more. We kept that going on and the same week I took her out to a movie and dinner and ended the night at my house where we kissed and cuddled each other for quite a bit. I was really happy at that point and she knew it. However, she still kept telling me not to expect anything out of her since she is still not looking for a relationship. She did suggest something cute and dorky which was for me to fill out a resume instating why I want to be with her, which I did. Unfortunately, after that date, I noticed two days later she started to become significantly distant. She wouldn't text me as much or even at all, and sometimes wouldn't return my calls. I was confused since two days prior we just had an awesome night and plus we did talk a lot. Last night I talked to her about the situation and she got a little irritated with me because she knew I was expecting things out of her. She reassured me that she does have a thing for me, but told me not to wait for her since she's not ready. I told I was trying my hardest not to expect anything out of her, but it's very difficult since I've been single for over 2 1/2 years versus her being single for 5 months. She said she understood that, but told me she's not ready to add the stress of a relationship into her life right now. I told her I still wouldn't stop liking her and caring about her, and she told me the same. So as of right now, what do you think I should do? Should I give her space and stop contacting her? I'm really at a lost since I do still really like her. I am just unsure at how to approach this predicament I am in. :-/
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 09:33 AM

I think after telling you three or four times that she doesn't want a relationship right now, you would realize that is just what she wants, space.

Give her some breathing room and she may come around to you.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 09:35 AM

Yeah. You know what to do. Give her space. If she wants to see you, she'll hang out.

Beauty of women: you show them attention, you let them know that you want them, then you stay away. They'll come to you.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 09:41 AM

I think it's great that she's been so honest with you about not wanting a relationship right now. I'm afraid that you may be coming across as a little desperate.

Lighten up and don't pressure her so hard.

If you're really interested you'll take things really slow and easy. Give her all the space she needs and don't call and text her daily.

Maybe as she gets to know you on her terms she will get ready to become involved.

Jul 6, 2010, 12:19 PM
    Thanks guys for your responses. Btw, she just updated her Facebook status with this: had a dream I was with a guy that I've never seen in my life. Mr. Right, is that YOU? Hahaha. What should I make of this? Do remember we had a conversation last night were we did butt heads a little. Then this morning she texts me Morning. Then she posts this. Yeah I'm confused.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 12:21 PM

I am sure you can see its your own wants that making you expect more, but it would be better to just casually date and enjoy getting to know each other and see what happens without the expectations. Just be nice and pay attention and keep doing other things besides trying to be with her, or calling or texting too much.

She was very honest, and you better appreciate it, and recognize if she has only been single for 5 months, so romance, attachments, or official titles may be totally inappropriate at this time, and that's why making her the center of your attentions is not a great idea.

Don't crowd or pressure her, and give her the space she asked for.

Jul 6, 2010, 12:23 PM
    Thanks talaniman. But what should I make of her status update of Facebook? I'm not sure if that's indirectly supposed to annoy me. This is what she posted after texting me good morning: had a dream I was with a guy that I've never seen in my life. Mr. Right, is that YOU? Hahaha.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 12:24 PM

... that Facebook status could mean... anything, nothing, etc. usually, it means nothing. You're at the stage where you're overanalyzing everything. Don't. You'll drive yourself crazy. Go outside. Hang out with your friends. Do something.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 12:26 PM

You shouldn't make anything of it. It was only a dream... and dreams generally mean little to nothing.

Patience is really not a characteristic you seem to possess, is it? As I said before, just slow down and stop obsessing.

Jul 6, 2010, 12:28 PM
    Thanks everyone. I'm trying my hardest. It's just been difficult. I'm one of those individuals that really wants to care for someone. I'm not sure if it's because I am an Aires. I know I have a headstrong personality, which shows it.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 12:32 PM

Dude. Get out. Seriously. Sitting around thinking about this will get you nowhere. Sooner than later, she'll contact you. All you have to do is wait. You know the best method of waiting? Not waiting.

Get out of the house. Call up a friend, go watch a movie, go do something to take your mind off things.

Jul 6, 2010, 12:46 PM
    Yeah, I'm going to go workout and then get into some song writing for this time being. I'm getting tempted to keep staring at my phone and going on her FB page, but I know I have to resist. I can overcome this. Thanks everyone.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 12:46 PM

I think you back off and leave her alone.
    I would be a bit creeped out if I were her.

I think you are really wanting to have a relationship and she has come along, but she told you from the beginning she does not want one.
    You need to go about your life as usual, go out meet people.

Stop looking at her Facebook page, it makes your mind wander to places it shouldn't

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girl I met likes me but isn't ready to be in a relationship again yet [ 17 Answers ]

So I met this Girl on match.com , we hit it off right away we always end up talking hours on end about anything and get flirty with each other. I went out with her a couple nights ago and she texted me that she had a great time and is always looking for new friends. We talked about it for awhile...

In love with a girl that's in a relationship but still likes me [ 13 Answers ]

I met this girl at my work place.I work in a leisure facility.she was in for work experience.she is in college studying heaslth and fitness,she's only 2 years younger than me and she's 19.we really seemed to hit it off.in fact we hit it off so well that we began flirting a bit and making each other...

There's this guy that likes me but I'm n a longterm relationship.what do I do? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been in this relationship for a year and four months with someone very amazing and speacial to me. And that I am ohnestly in love with. I know people arnt perfect, but I don't want to lose him, and this other guy likes me that they both hate each other, and he has been trying to get with me...

Told her I like her,she likes me,something holding her back from relationship. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in college and have liked a girl this semester.we hang out and always have fun.I told her yesterday that I liked her and she asked why did I wait so long to tell her.then she said she likes me also and isn't talking to anyone else.she says I'm a great Guy but doesn't know what's holding her...

She says she's not ready for a relationship but she likes me [ 4 Answers ]

Hey I've been dating this girl for about 2 months now and it has gone well. I just took her to prom last weekend, and we celebrated her birthday yesterday. I got to know her through my church and we're both in the youth band. Now, I'd never been in a relationship before (im a senior in high...

View more questions Search