Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 03:43 PM
    Have electronics ruined communication and destroyed etiquette?
    Okay, I need all of you to give me your opinions. If you disagree with me, tell me why, I want to hear it. If you agree, same goes.

This weekend was my husbands 40th birthday. We’re having a party in a few weeks, but in the meantime, I invited a few people over to play board games, shoot the poo, just relax and have fun.

It was hubby and me, a good friend of ours, and my cousin’s daughter (22) and her boyfriend (21). For those that don’t know me, I’m 39, our friend is 35, so you, a bit of an age gap, but the 20 something's enjoy coming over, hanging out with us, and we usually have a great time. Usually.

Well my cousin’s daughter recently got an Ipod. Her boyfriend has an I-touch phone. Forgive me if I’m getting the names wrong, it’s not my thing, so I don’t know a lot about them. I also want to add that they both have their cell phones in their hands or within reach wherever they go.

Anyway, we pulled out a board game and proceeded to play. The entire time we were playing, they were texting each other, playing games, and basically just sitting there. Yes, they participated in the board game, but we like to play, talk, have fun. They couldn’t participate in the banter, because they were too busy playing leap frog or whatever the heck they were doing.

I found this to be really rude. I know it’s the age of electronics, and there are so many neat things out there now, but come on, when you’re a guest in someone’s home, and they’re talking to you, do you sit there with your stupid Ipod and basically ignore them?

So I figured “if you can’t beat them, join them”. When it wasn’t my turn on the board game, I did a crossword puzzle. My cousins daughter got mad, said it was rude, that I wasn’t concentrating on the game. WHAT?! Are you kidding me? How is doing a crossword puzzle any different then playing games on an Ipod?

So I guess my question is, what do you think about using Ipods, or other hand held devices, texting, calling, playing games, when you’re at a party, or with a group of people?

Have we gone too far? Is the art of communication lost, or is this a good thing?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 03:55 PM

Your playing the wrong games, get out the water guns. I know what you mean though, today's youth (that includes you young lady) thinks with their thumbs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 04:00 PM

Yes it has made people in many ways more rude, we were at six flags and they are even selling "apps" for the Iphone that will show you the location of all of your friends who also have the apps, let you know the rides they do and the such,
    What happened to just being with them doing it together.

And with our coffee house, we like to actually "talk" to each person to book them, cell phones do that still ( actually call people) well we get text messages or emails, so we tell them to call us, and they , guess?? Yep they text the number. And are shocked when we call, instead of text back.
    Pets Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Your playing the wrong games, get out the water guns. I know what you mean though, todays youth (that includes you young lady) thinks with their thumbs.
    Me? Youth? I love you Tal. You're in my will. You get everything! ;) :)

I just got a cell phone for Christmas. I've used it once, and that was to call my home phone so I'd know the number. :o Texting is a mystery, and I have no desire to learn, in fear that I'll actually have to start using text talk. I refuse.

You all are lucky that I even have a computer. Or maybe you're not lucky. Depends on whether you like me or not. ;)
    Pets Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    yes it has made people in many ways more rude, we were at six flags and they are even selling "apps" for the Iphone that will show you the location of all of your friends who also have the apps, let you know the rides they do and the such,
    what happened to just being with them doing it together.

And with our coffee house, we like to actually "talk" to each person to book them, cell phones do that still ( actually call people) well we get text messages or emails, so we tell them to call us, and they , guess ???? yep they text the number. And are shocked when we call, instead of text back.
    It reminds me of when I went to a friends bachlorette party. We went to a restaurant, around 30 people. I sat with the group of younger people who texted each other all night. They were sitting beside each other and texting! :mad:

Well you know me. I had to say something. I asked one of them if I could us her phone so I could get in on the "conversation". I got a glare.

After that, I just started talking to myself. They never got the hint.

I miss the dial up phone, the days where you actually talked to people, did things with your friends, went out, and if you broke up with someone, you did it face to face, you didn't text them or email them, or worse, Facebook that you're no longer a couple.

I've reluctantly joined technology, but I refuse to learn to text, and no, I don't want an Ipod, I'll never "tweet", and Facebook is the only social networking group I belong to or ever will.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I've reluctantly joined technology, but I refuse to learn to text, and no, I don't want an Ipod, I'll never "tweet", and Facebook is the only social networking group I belong to or ever will.
    I have said it before (on this site): No Face, No Space, No text, No Tweet, Too many Twits that can't type English.

Yes, the kids were being rude. One of my kids' friends came over quite often for a time and sat in the same place with her phone because it got the best signal right there facing that way. She only looked up when her name was mentioned. Eventually she went away because we stopped paying any attention to her. Go figure.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2010, 06:03 PM

Alty:

You "tweet" all the time. Your chit chat thread is lust that. Short messages. Although it's not entirely focused on Alty.

The "short messages" is almost texting, but it's not directed at a single person.
    Pets Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Alty:

You "tweet" all the time. Your chit chat thread is lust that. Short messages. Although it's not entirely focused on Alty.

The "short messages" is almost texting, but it's not directed at a single person.
    I don't consider posting on this site "tweeting". I refuse to tweet. Who cares what I'm doing every second of the day? Do I really have to let the world know that I just went to the bathroom and used 3 ply toilet paper?

I just find all of these gadgets and things to be useless. We're ruining real communication.

With all of you, I don't have much of a choice. If I want to talk to you, much of the chatting has to be done via computer, because of distance, and long distance costs. But many of my friends on this site have contacted me via phone. I prefer to talk, not type.

I do use Facebook, but I'm not an avid user. I have spurts, when I'm bored I'll post, but most times I just go on FB to play the games, or chat with a friend. Still prefer the phone, or in person if that's an option.

But texting. No way. Never. I refuse. I will not do it. ;)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2010, 06:38 PM

Hey I don't real;y blame you. Texting has it's purpose. I have to pay for each message so I use wisely.

Getting text messages for an airplane flight turns out to be very useful whether arriving or departing.

That's useful.

When meeting someone for the first time, I text an mms message containing the picture to the recipients phone. The pic is, of course, taken by the camera in the phone.

Now that is useful.
    Pets Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 08:26 PM

Fr_Chuck agrees : I would have texted you about it, but don't have your number
    LOL! Chuck, I don't have my number. ;)
    TruthSayer0122 Posts: 109, Reputation: 18

Jul 28, 2010, 02:16 PM
    It has revealed how insecure we are. I went to lunch with a friend and she put her phone on the table! Every time it buzzed should jumped and had to tell everyone what she was doing. I have another friend that had to update Facebook because we were getting our nails done. Everyone is trying to convince the world that they have this fab life even if it means being rude in real life. I'm 20 something and I think it is rude. It's saying hey you are so boring so I have to text. My mother told me, "Your phone is for your convenience not everyone else's." I think we have been rude way before iphones and ipods.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Your chit chat thread is lust that.
    I just noticed the spelling on this. KISS, you're a very very subtle flirt.
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Aug 1, 2010, 03:21 AM

I agree that mobile phones and the web have ruined the art of real life communication, what gets me is that even the really young youngsters are online looking for love, If my 13 yr old gets an electronic date he can move out with her LOL straight into the trash can, I don't text either, I can't do that thing, and have phones in USA & CAN got T9 on them, boy that makes it really hard, so the one or two texts Ive ever sent have said yes or OK, that's it for me. I too like face to face or real phone calls, and I certainly wouldn't have looked for love online at age 16 how sad is that, Ive told my Sons I want real Daughter In Laws not cyber ones, and no virtual reality Grankids either. LOL Flesh and blood is going out of fashion I feel...

My 13 yr old knows when he's at home his phone is Alone... turned off and put away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Religion Must Be Destroyed [ 68 Answers ]

Religion Must Be Destroyed, Atheist Alliance Declares No word on whether tolerance was a subject of discussion although one of the speakers at the conference, Sale McGowan, believes "humility is the natural inheritance of atheism." I'm not sure one reconciles these "bright" atheists...

Data Communication, Evaluate the performance of communication [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I would like your help in the below question: Scenario Mr Paul Rainer sits in his office at Avon Cosmetics, in Salford Quays. Mr Rainer is Vice President of corporate MIS and his mind is moving to communications. His Enthusiasm is infectious and all the executives in the company...

View more questions Search