deltabuck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2010, 12:48 PM
    Can a brother mfc-495cw print with only black ink and color empty, and how
    Just a quick question.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2010, 01:26 PM

Some printers will and some won't.

My HP was nice. No color it would print in b&W. No B&W required you to remove the b&W cartridge and it would do it's best to make b&W out of color.

My Epson is another story. Can't print B&W if a color is outl

Brother - don't know.
    tdbohannon Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 6, 2010, 08:11 PM
    You can 'trick' the printer into thinking the color carts are full. Take out the empty cartridge and slide the outer housing back. You will see an empty 'window' of the ink resivoir. The printer apparently uses light to pass through this to determine ink volume. I simply put a small piece of opaque tape (blue painters tape) over the resivoir and it though the tank was full. You could probably also color it with a sharpie - anything to keep light from passing through. This works in a pinch when you need to print at 10 pm!
    martin81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2010, 05:51 PM
    A sharpie doesn't work. Duct tape does because duct tape fixes everything. Brother's customer service representative says that the printer shuts down after the ink cartridge access panel is opened, so don't open the panel/cover if you can't replace the cartridge. Also, apparently it is damaging to the printer to print with an empty cartridge. Unfortunately, I see a load of ink in still in my cartridge. This is a complete waste of ink and a terrible design flaw.
    bubbacummins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2011, 05:35 PM
    You are the man tdbohannon... just saved me in a big pinch, good to know its very easy to fool this machine, small piece of duck tape on the yellow cartridge and I was back in business printing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to fix brother printer does not print black ink [ 2 Answers ]

Brother DCP-165C Has full cartridges but does not print black

Lexmarl z15 inkjet won't print color-sufficient ink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Lexmark Z15 inkjet color printer that will not print in color. There is sufficient ink in the cartridge. Even after cleaning the nozzles the test only prints in black. Any thoughts? Thanks

Print black ink [ 4 Answers ]

Canon BJC-2110 printer will only print color, won't print black.

View more questions Search