Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shyana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2010, 03:58 PM
    Why would 1 month old kittens starve to death while nursing mother cat?
    My friend has a cat who gave birth to 2 kittens, they were 1 month old. They were nursing the mother cat, and yet they starved to death. The mother cat is very, cery thin,
    No meat on her at all. She has a big appetite, but does not gain weight. She is about 3 years old.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 4, 2010, 05:22 PM

Although they appears to be nursing, for some reason there was no milk. Could be your friend should have been more aware of what was going on and she could have noticed sooner that the kittens were not getting enough to eat.

What is wrong with you people to let this happen!! Kittens starving to death and no one there to help, and by gosh it took a month for those little things to die from lack of food.

Now, if she loves her cat, she will get it to a vet and see what happened, and hopefully pay to get the cat spayed so it can't produce and let this happen again.

So your questions was WHAT ?

We weren't there to see the outcome of this travesty.

Tick

Tick
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 5, 2010, 10:57 PM

It could very well be worms. They suck the nutrients out of whatever the mother eats, making her eat more and preventing anything from making it to the babies. Her body would use any nutrients for her, and only THEN worry about providing milk for the babies. It's too late for the babies, but the mother should be dewormed.
    Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 02:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    it could very well be worms. they suck the nutrients out of whatever the mother eats, making her eat more and preventing anything from making it to the babies. her body would use any nutrients for her, and only THEN worry about providing milk for the babies. it's too late for the babies, but the mother should be dewormed.
    Dewormed and spayed
    Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 03:34 AM
    it could very well be worms. they suck the nutrients out of whatever the mother eats, making her eat more and preventing anything from making it to the babies. her body would use any nutrients for her, and only THEN worry about providing milk for the babies. it's too late for the babies, but the mother should be dewormed.
    Yes, it could have been worms, or it could have been neglect. I have my doubts if no one noticed for one entire month that neither kittens or mom were doing well. How could they have not noticed, 30 long days and those little things must have looked just horrible. I mean, kittens progress really well and you can see improvements each day, as you well know, hh, when they are getting enough to eat. Thirty days is a long time in a kitten's life.

Sad tick all over again
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 6, 2010, 10:39 AM

I was choosing not to go down that road. It makes me want cry and beat someone senseless for being so stupid and cruel.
    Expert

Jul 6, 2010, 12:23 PM
    i was choosing not to go down that road. it makes me want cry and beat someone senseless for being so stupid and cruel.
    Me too, hh, but it was the only conclusion I was able to draw, aside from worms. But even with worms, a cat will look at least not starving to death. As the OP said, there was no 'meat on her bones at all', or something like that. Sh***t happens and most likely always to an animal that no one cares about.

You are exceptional in your caring attitude. Even when I had the farm and lots of cats, I hever had one that didn't have a good meal; even when everything else was hard to come by.

Tick
    theresa101 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Jul 6, 2010, 07:44 PM
    Tragic, at the very least. I truly hope your friend gets mother cat the help she is obviously in need of. Was there no-one to step in and take care of this situation?
    A parent, aunt or uncle? Anyone? My children have come to me with friends pet problems many times and gotten help for them. Have a heart to heart with your friend, have her check out local humane societies and help groups if there is a financial issue. Your local vet should be able to point you toward the help you need.
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Jul 10, 2010, 11:32 AM

How tragic for the mother cat and the kittens, it makes you wonder why some people have pets, when we take in or decide to take a pet for ourselves, we all pet owners have to accept responsibility for that pet, that means expecting to be faced with vet bills worming them and making sure they're in good health, proper feeding and exercise, they're not just bundles of fluff, and many get abandoned once they pass the cute stage, which is totally wrong and unfair.

If people aren't prepared to care for their pets they shouldn't have them. I hope the owner of the Mummy cat gets her treated,
    As for the kittens poor little mites, died in vain.
    AshCat10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 06:28 PM
    If The Kittens Don't Get Food They Get Weak. Right Now My Cat Ashlyn Didn't Have Anough Milk And One Of Her Kittens Is Really Weak So I Took It To The Vet. The Vet Said It Was Starving To Death. So I Bought A Milk Replacer And A Bottle For Young Pets. So Right Now We Are Trying Our Best To Help This Kitten. Im Putting All My Effort For This Kitten To Live Until Its An Adult. But Its Getting Too Hard But Im Not Going To Let This Kitten Down! The Vet Also Said It May Not Make It So Don't Get Upset If It Doesn't Make It. But I Have Faith In This Kitten To Live. Tell Your Friend To Feed Her Cat More Often And If The Kittens Get Weak And Starve, Tell Him/Her To Buy Milk Replacer And Some Bottles For Young Pets. Good Luck. Don't EVER EVER EVER Give Up.
    gatorgirlsrock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2012, 10:46 AM
    I hate to tell you this but I also had (3) kittens one month of age very fat and healthy and one by one they each passed away all within a day of each other.
    Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 01:02 PM
    Hi gator, why did they pass away ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why won't my nursing mama cat care for abandoned kittens? [ 3 Answers ]

A stray mama cat gave birth to kittens lat week. She abandoned them. Since I had a nursing mama cat I brought these babies home. My nursing mama will feed them but it's a struggle. She doesn't properly care for these abandoned babies. Is this normal? How can I get her to care for these little...

Can you give mother cat worm medicine while she is nursing 3 day old kittens [ 5 Answers ]

Mother cat very thin can I give her worm medicine .she is a stayand just had kittens 2 days ago

Mother cat shaking while nursing newborn kittens [ 1 Answers ]

Our cat just gave birth to 2 kittens last night and is shaking while nursing them. She seems fine otherwise and is eating and drinking. Anyone know if this is normal behavior?

View more questions Search