Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    illiboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 02:06 PM
    Water heater working poorly after vacation.
    We came back from a 10 day vacation and found that we didn't have hot water in the shower. We have an electric hot water heater. I checked the circuit breakers and they were fine. We called a plumber and he looked at it--checked the circuits at the top and the bottom on the water heater and said everything checked out and it should be working. He (a young guy) said he would discuss it with someone else and call or come back that day. He didn't. We called again the next day and someone came out while I was gone. We then had hot water but it was VERY hot--much hotter than before--and when I went into the basement later that day I noticed that hot water was pouring out of the tube on the side--the pressure relief valve, I guess--making the basement feel a little like a sauna. We called again and someone came out and said he turned it down. According to my wife, he said that it was on 125 degrees and he turned it down to 120. After that, the water is just warm--not hot. I have turned it up slightly. I don't see "degrees" on the temperature setting but it was 2/3 of the way between "hot" and "very hot" before I changed it--closer to "very hot". Any ideas on what is going on here?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 03:20 PM

Have you tried draining the water heater lately from the base? You could have a calcium buildup and its making the water heat unevenly. It also could be dangerous. If you can't remember the last time you did it then its past the time to do it. Always a good idea to do it at least once a year and more frequent where you have a lot of minerals in your water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vacation mode for water heater [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gas, select state water heater with a manual pilot. We will be away on vacation for 3 months and I am wondering the best way to leave the water heater. I plan on turning off the water throughout the house, but will keep the house between 55-60 degrees. Should I completely turn off the...

Can I shut off my water heater while on vacation? [ 14 Answers ]

I am going on two weeks vacation. I heard you should not turn off water heaters to save energy while gone as it may damage the water heater.

Water main off, water heater vacation, leave recirc pump on winter? [ 3 Answers ]

Leaving Las Vegas house for 10 days in January - basically want to insure no pipe freeze (many in outside walls) without draining entire house. The house will remain heated to ~55Your Question Title: Please enter your question title with only 85 characters long. Describe Your Question ...

Water heater keeps going to vacation mode [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have an A>O smith gas water heater and it keeps reverting to vacation mode and I find out when all the waters cold. It used to do it wvery once in a while and is getting more frequent like every day. Please help it is only about 4 years old and I can't figure it out thanks

Hot water heater - vacation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to shut off my water supply while I am on vacation. I plan to put the gas control valve on "pilot" while I am gone, and let the pilot continue to burn. Is this OK? Should I open a hot water faucet in the house to relieve any possible pressure buildup due to thermal expansion? The heater...

View more questions Search