Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simian Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Jul 3, 2010, 11:54 AM
    How do I get a dish cloth out of my garbage disposal?
    I just turned on my garbage disposal and heard a "click" and realized that a dishcloth had slipped down the drain. Only the corner of it is wedged in there, but it is stuck fast- definitely can't be untangled or pulled out. It's a holiday weekend and I don't want to have to call (or pay for) a plumber. Is there a way I can take it apart myself and get the cloth out? It seems like if I could just take the unit off, I could get it untangled pretty easily. However, I don't want to do more damage, either. Do I need to turn the power off to do this? Which part do I need to take off? If I remove it, is a bunch of water and gunk going to rain down on me?
    simian Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Jul 3, 2010, 01:38 PM

Never mind, I managed to take it apart and get the cloth out. Not sure if I did it correctly, but it worked!
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2010, 01:50 PM

Good for you! Sorry you didn't get help immediately, but it is a holiday weekend. I hope all is well. Happy 4th of July!
    Gale55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 08:34 AM
    I got my dish cloth out of the garbage disposal using Clorox. Remembering that if you pour Clorox on fabric, it will sometimes make a hole in it, I poured a little down the drain, waited a few seconds, ran some hot water and yanked it. It worked!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2010, 08:51 AM

We thank you for the update and the explanation. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garbage disposal [ 1 Answers ]

What tools do I need and how do I go about removing a garbage disposal and putting in a regular drain and trap. It sounds to me like it should be a fairly easy job but I want to be sure before I attack it. Thanks, Jim

Garbage disposal [ 8 Answers ]

I want to put a garbage disposal in my restaurant but I am not sure if it will work with my sink. I have a standard commercial sink with about a 1 1/2" drain. Can anyone tell me what is involved if anything to complete this project?

Garbage disposal or dish washer [ 2 Answers ]

Im not sure which appliance is the problem. When I run the garbage disposal the water seems to back up into the dish washer. Not all the water but it does cover the bottom of the dish washer. Does any one know what the problem is. Blurino

My disposal has always worked just fine, but today it's sending water back up into the sink after it's gone down once the switch is turned off? A clog? Does this necessarily mean a plumbing call?

I have never had a problem running my garbage disposal before until I replaced it with a bigger and better one. Now my disposal backs up, and when I run the disposal, it backs up into the adjoining sink! Please help! Hi Mom, Sounds like you have a clog in the lateral, (horizontal ) pipe in...

View more questions Search