Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phantompower Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 10:26 AM
    How do you defend yourself in court after threatening to kill somebody in California
    My little brother was under a lot of pressure and very upset about his impending divorce and made threatening calls to his wife. He was a arrested and I was wondering how to help him... besides getting him into therapy... How do I help keep him out of jail?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2010, 11:00 AM

You get the very best Attorney you can afford - someone experienced in these matters.

Obviously threatening to kill a spouse is taken very seriously in every State.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 11:01 AM

Little you can do.

1. he needs not to make any statements and not admit he did this.
    2. in fact deny it and make her prove it in court.
    Get the best attorney possible

Jul 3, 2010, 12:28 PM
    What if he was under the influence... of say Xanax? He purchased them illegaly I am sure but wouldn't that be some sort of issue for them to send him to jail... What I am hoping is that he has to do drug rehab and anger managemnet... something to help him understand his emotions so he can be the person he has shown he can be... and not some angry-hurting 30 yr old that feels the world owes him something. Any chance they would do that instead of jail?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2010, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phantompower View Post
    Any chance they would do that instead of jail?
    Hello p:

Assuming this is his first offense, he won't go to jail anyway. To make certain of that, get a good lawyer for him.

excon

Jul 3, 2010, 01:53 PM
    Thanks guys
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2010, 04:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by phantompower View Post
    disagree

You have totally misused the reddie/greenie system -

First, I actually work in the field of law.

Second, what part of my post didn't you agree with? The part that your brother needs a good Attorney OR the part about States taking threats to kill your spouse seriously? Someone obviously took him seriously or he wouldn't be sitting in a jail cell.

These charges are not a joke. You CAN get jail time in NY. As far as the good Attorney, well, I still don't know what your disagreement is about. Perhaps you'd prefer that he hire an incompetent Attorney - ?

And now on top of everything else he's taking Xanax illegally and that's going to be his defense, "The prescription drugs I bought on the street made me do it," keeping in mind that this in itself is a felony?

I stand by my original advice but now I've changed it to an excellent Attorney.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2010, 10:06 AM

Having him volunteer the information about buying illegal drugs won't go over very well in court. And the weak defense of the "drugs" made me do this won't go over either. As everyone here has advised you - get a great attorney and he will probably get off with probation where he HAS to remain incident free for so many months. The old saw of rehab won't do him any good in this situation. By all means do have him attend some anger management classes so he doesn't do this again in a big hurry.

Jul 5, 2010, 02:49 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    I hit the greenie thing or reddie wrong. I thank you for your time and advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ex-girlfriend is threatening to kill herself over me, what do I do? [ 4 Answers ]

The title says it all I guess, but I'll give a bit of a rundown. Last year I started seeing a girl long distance, she lives 950km away from me, so we could really only see each other once a month. When we weren't seeing each other, we were calling each other, texting each other, sending letters,...

My father keeps threatening to kill my mother [ 6 Answers ]

I am scared for my mother's life. My parents have been divorced for about 5 years and my father is still very angry. I am afraid he is going to kill her. What can I do? Who can I talk to? I am an adult child with children of my own. They cannot be in the same place together without my father...

This girl keeps threatening to kill me [ 17 Answers ]

This has been going on for over a year now, the girl called Hollie keeps spreading rumours about me, setting her friends to beat me up, telling me to kill myself, usual bully stuff. But what worries me is that she knows the family that used to live in my new house, the people we rent off and I'm...

Can I sue my ex husband for continually threatening to kill me? [ 15 Answers ]

My ex husband continually threatens to kill me, cut my head off, knock me out, etc, whenever my name in mentioned in conversation with our daughters. I cannot be in the same public place as he is for fear he will act on his threats. He was extremely verbally abusive, he beat me and burned our...

View more questions Search