Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scared1234 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2010, 04:44 PM
    E-mal Header information
    Receiving e-mails from someone stating they are stationed in the Middle east, but their IP address via hotmail indicates United Kingdom. Can this be possible :(
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 2, 2010, 04:50 PM

What type of emails ? Does it have to do with some dating scam
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2010, 04:51 PM

Scam, delete it

Jul 2, 2010, 04:53 PM
    No, dating scam. But someone that we met a long time ago, and haven't heard anything from them, then all of a sudden, receive an e-mail stating Hi, how are you, and that they are in a terrible war area, but the IP address always comes back as United Kingdom.
    Is that possible?
    Thank you.

Jul 2, 2010, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    scam, delete it
    How could someone do that :(. We all knew this person for several years :(. So there is no way, this person could possibly be anywhere but in the United Kingdom (that's where they are originally from anyway), but we lost contact. Feel sick to my stomach, been worried for weeks about their safety, but things just were not adding up, and I checked the hotmail IP address and each time it said United Kingdom :(. Thank you so much.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 2, 2010, 05:19 PM

There are ways to make your IP address to appear other places,
    I guess why do you have a reason to doubt it ( and to go as far as to search their IP address to find out.

Jul 2, 2010, 05:37 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Because things were just not adding up and it was a bit odd. This is after about a month of correspondence, that I decided to check the ip address. I think this person was trying to win back our good graces, and wanted us to feel sorry for them. Bu

Jul 2, 2010, 05:41 PM

Sorry not used to this board. Things were not adding up and it wasn't till after about a month of e-mail correpsondence, that promted me to check the IP. Thank you for your help.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 2, 2010, 10:32 PM
    Please remember that the IP in the header of a e-mail leads back to the e-mail SERVER and not the person actual location.
    So it is quite possible this person is in a different country routing e-mails through and English server.

Jul 3, 2010, 02:44 AM
    Sorry, I did it again. Trying to get use to the forum. So even if it has an XP originating IP, it just refers to the server and not the location? Now I feel bad for asking this person, but things just were not adding up, and felt it best to ask, but when they didn't respond, it heighten my concern. I had a feeling it may be the case, but just wanted to make sure. Can't thank you enough.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 3, 2010, 03:12 AM

There is a lot of misinformation about how IPs indicate location. The originating IP of an e-mail shows the IP assigned to a computer by the ISP they are connecting through. So this person could be using a UK based server to connect to the Net. Doesn't mean they were in the UK at the time.

Jul 3, 2010, 03:24 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I only see my header and not my footer. [ 1 Answers ]

WHEN I PULL UP MY WEBSITE IN MY BROWSER, THEY ONLY SEE IS MY HEADER AND NOT MY FOOTER. THIS IS MY INTEX.HTML IN MY WEBSITE FOLDER.... <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html...

Header size [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a one story rancher in New Jersey. I am looking to replace my front window with a bay window. Currently the front window is two double hung totaling 55 inches wide. There is a double 2x6 as a header now. The bay window is 84 inches wide. Can I use a double 2x8 or does it have to be...

Mal practice [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know about medical malpractice, I went to the hospital Saturday afternoon, and the er doctor told me to pee in a cup and then came in and said and I quote, you have a primary doctor there is nothing I can do for you... is there anything I can do... I didn't think they could refuse...

Header wall [ 3 Answers ]

I knocked out a piece of wall under my cabinate and think I need a header my opening is 6 ft. wide and approx 2 and a half tall I am opening up a wall to make a bigger counter anyway I have 2 2x4 studs that need to be took out and I am afraid of just taking them out as this was an outside wall at...

View more questions Search